Halloween Chocolate Cupcakes
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Makes: 12 – 14
- 125g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 125g butter, diced and softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups
- 3 extra large eggs
- 2 cups plain flour
- 11⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 150g butter, diced and softened
- 125g Vanilla Buttercream Icing Mix
- 125g Chocolate Buttercream Icing Mix
- 6 tsp water
- Edible eyes
- Liquorice Strips
- Black fondant icing
- Pre-heat oven to 170°C (150°C fan-forced). Place large cake cases into muffin pans.
- Combine chocolate and water in a saucepan and heat gently until the chocolate has melted. Allow to cool.
- Place butter and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer, beating until pale and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and cocoa. Gradually fold into the butter mixture until well combined. Add cooled chocolate mixture, beating until smooth. Spoon mixture between cake cases and bake for 30 mins. Remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For the buttercream icing, divide butter into 2 mixing bowls then beat each until soft and creamy. Gradually add
vanilla icing mix and 3 tsp water until the mix is smooth. Transfer to a piping bag with a round nozzle and pipe peaks on each cupcake. Repeat with chocolate buttercream icing mix. Decorate with edible eyes, liquorice strips and fondant icing shaped into witches hats.