New research conducted by appliance makers Westinghouse has revealed that family recipes and cooking skills are not being passed to the next generation as they once were.
To encourage families to spend time together in the kitchen and pass on their cooking skills these summer holidays, Westinghouse has teamed up with Australia’s favourite home cook and mum, Julie Goodwin.
Together, Westinghouse and Julie have created the Kids in the Kitchen recipe booklet, featuring 12 delicious recipes which the whole family can cook together. You can download it here for free.
For a just taste of what you’ll find there, here’s one of our favourites below, Julie’s easy-to-prepare pancetta and vegetable fritters.
- 5 eggs
- 4 tbsp grated parmesan cheese.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 100g pancetta
- 1 small tin sweet corn
- 1 tbsp milk
- ¼ cup plain flour
- ¼ cup self raising flour
- 2 shallots
- 1 avocado
- ¼ purple onion
- 80g of feta cheese
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 2 sprigs parsley
- Grate the zucchini into a sieve over a large bowl and allow water to drain off. Pat dry with paper towel. Drain tinned corn.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl. Add the milk and whisk until combined.
- Finely dice the pancetta and thinly slice the shallots.
- Add the plain and self raising flours and grated cheese.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add the zucchini, shallots, corn and pancetta. Mix to combine.
- Your mixture should be thick. If necessary add another tablespoon of self raising flour.
- Place 2 tbsp of oil into a large nonstick fry pan. Allow the pan to reach a medium temperature.
- Dollop 2 tbsp of the mixture per fritter into the pan. You should make 12 fritters in total.
- Cook for 4 minutes either side. You should notice the mixture begins to bubble around the edges. Fritters should be golden both sides.
Smashed avocado salsa
- Cut from the tip to the base of the avocado. Twist to separate and remove the seed.
- Scoop out the flesh of the avocado into a medium bowl, top with lemon juice and mash with a fork.
- Cut cherry tomatoes into quarters, dice the fetta cheese and finely chop the onion and parsley. Add these to the bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper drizzle with olive oil and toss to combine.
- To serve, place 3 fritters on a plate with a dollop of salsa.