These little strawberry hearts are a delicious after-meal treat; perfect to share with a loved one on a special day! Relatively low in sugar at only 5g per serve, the fats from the hazelnuts and pepitas help to lower the GI load of these chocolate covered hearts, keeping your blood sugars from spiking.
This recipe was created by Gabrielle Newman. Gabrielle is the Nutritionist and Recipe Developer for The Fast 800, an online programme devoted to helping people live healthier, better quality lives by offering healthy recipes, meal plans, organisational resources and a science-based framework for a healthy lifestyle.
80g strawberries (about 8)
25g dark chocolate, at least 70% cocoa solids
Strawberry Hearts Method
- Crush the hazelnuts and pepitas in a mortar and pestle, into a crumb.
- Cut the strawberries in half, and then cut a v-shape into the top of the strawberry to form a heart shape.
- In a small bowl, microwave the chocolate in 20 second intervals, stirring each time, until melted.
- Dip the hearts into the melted chocolate and sprinkle on the nut crumb. Place onto a lined baking tray and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes until the chocolate has set.
- Serve straight from the fridge – best consumed shortly after being made.
– One serve of strawberry hearts is approximately 4 whole strawberries.