HelloFresh nutritionist Hannah Gilbert has put together her recommendations for The Carousel about what are the top five vital nutrients your body needs to function properly.
Hannah says including these into your diet can help to keep energy and metabolism levels up throughout the day. And here, they are:
- Iron – Important for oxygen transportation around the body. Food sources of iron include, tempeh, eggs, nuts and seeds (almonds, sunflower seeds, cashews), iron-fortified breads and cereals and dried fruit.
- Protein – Important for growth and repair of cells, hormones and muscle function. Food sources include legumes (beans, lentils, chickpeas), tofu & tempeh, eggs, nuts and seeds, dairy (Cheese, milk, yoghurt) and wholegrains (brown rice, quinoa)
- Calcium – Important for building and maintaining strong bones and teeth, nerve and muscle function. Food sources include dairy (Cheese, milk, yoghurt), calcium-fortified foods (e.g. plant based milks), nuts & seeds (almonds, brazil nuts, sesame), tahini, dark leafy greens (kale, Asian greens, broccoli) and tofu.
- Vitamin B12 – Important for red blood cell production for a health brain and nerve function. Sources of B12 include dairy & eggs, B12 fortified foods (e.g some soy beverages & mock meats), B12 supplement (consult a health care professional first!)
- Zinc – Important for growth, development, reproduction, appetite, a strong immune system & wound healing. Vegetarian zinc sources include, brown rice, quinoa, tofu & tempeh, nuts (almonds, cashews, brazil nuts, pecans, pine), seeds (pumpkin), wholemeal bread, zinc-fortified cereals, rolled oats.
The Carousel would like to thank Hannah Gilbert for her article.