- 5 eggs, separated
- 5 tbs caster sugar
- 500g Italian mascarpone or local Grappa or liquor of your liking
- 150ml warm espresso or strong coffee
- 100g savoiardi (sponge finger biscuits)
- dark cocoa, to dust (very good quality)
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale. Using a large spoon, fold through mascarpone.
- Whisk eggwhites until firm peaks form. Carefully fold into mascarpone
- Add grappa or anything you like to espresso. Quickly dip half of sponge fingers, one at a time, in coffee mixture. Place in base of a 3 cup-capacity serving bowl.
- Cover with half of mascarpone mixture. Repeat layers once more, finishing with mascarpone.
- Refrigerate for 6 hrs or overnight to set. Dust with plenty of cocoa and serve.
Chef Luca Ciano used a Smeg Espresso machine and Stand Mixer to create this recipe.