If you ask us, they deserve to be spoiled rotten every day, but if you really want to go all out and make it an occasion to remember, do it with eggs!
Experts say they go barking mad for them.
Dr Bruce Syme BVSc (Hons), veterinarian and pet nutritionist says: “Eggs are highly digestible with a full range of essential amino acids – the building blocks of protein – vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin A, Riboflavin (Vitamin B), Folate, Vitamin B12, Iron, Selenium and Fatty Acids, making them extremely nutritious for your dogs.”
But don’t just take our word for it. Why not whip up one of the recipes below and see for yourself that we’re not barking up the wrong tree.
Peanut Butter and Banana Pupcakes
Preparation time: 5 min
Cooking time: 20 min
- 2 Bananas, ripe
- 2 Cups water
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons peanut butter, all-natural
- 3 Cups oats
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep mini muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Mash bananas in a large bowl.
- Add water, egg, and peanut butter.
- In a food processor, pulse oats and baking powder until it becomes fine (like flour).
- Add dry ingredients to banana mixture.
- Pour into mini muffin pan(s) until 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle each pupcake with a few extra oats.
- Bake 20 minutes, rotating once.
Angie’s Treat Dog Biscuits
Cooking time: 90 min
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄3 cup mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- Set aside 1/2 cup ww flour.
- Mix the rest of the dry ingredients.
- With fork blend eggs, water, banana and chopped parsley, place in small mixer bowl, add peanut butter, mix slow, add dry mix.
- Blend on low with dough blade. when well blended add the rest of flour a small amount at a time, turning off and on machine.
- Let it knead for 2 minutes. form a loaf shape and roll out between wax paper to 3/8th inch, cut into pieces appropriate for your dog, I did 1 inch squares, for my miniature schnauzer.
- Place on cookie sheet, bake 1 hour 325 degrees F. cool in oven.