Out of the blue Debbie phoned Lisa, who was dining in a restaurant called Hush in London, suggesting they pool their talents to create a PR company.
“I said to Debbie that if we could call the business ‘HUSH’, then I was in,” laughs Lisa, a former publisher of Elle magazine who was on a year’s sabbatical at the time.
From humble beginnings with face-to-face desks in a tiny Sydney office the ideas sparked and the client base of HUSH Communications quickly grew.
But mother-of-two Lisa admits it wasn’t all Absolutely Fabulous along the way.
On a personal level, the biggest hurdle for Lisa was her breast cancer battle in 2007, which was the subject of a compelling – and often confronting – ABC documentary on Australian Story.
Lisa only discovered the disease after a freak taxi accident that resulted in broken ribs.
A longtime supporter of national breast cancer agency Pink Pony, Lisa decided to capture her journey, which included a bilateral mastectomy, to help other women also fighting for their lives.
“I often think being a business owner is the best therapy you could ever have,” says Lisa reflecting on the ups and downs of the last 15 years.
“It’s definitely a great way to learn your weaknesses, face your fears, overcome your imaginary obstacles, and test yourself to the farthest limits.
“I look back on where I was, how far I’ve come, and what all I have accomplished… and I’m incredibly proud of myself. I pushed through obstacles I wouldn’t wish on anyone, and I never gave up.
To celebrate HUSH Communications 15th birthday, Lisa shares with The Carousel readers the 15 key lessons she’s learned along the way.
- Perfection does not exist, only perception
- There is no ONE right way to do anything
- Nobody is going to do this for me. It’s up to me, and me alone
- Stress does not fix things, so don’t bother with it
- Finish it. Whatever it is, finish what you started
- I’m the only one judging me. Nobody else really cares
- My biggest business fears…are kind a silly
- We’re all somewhere. There will always be people ahead of you & behind you
- Take breaks when you need them
- The people around you are vital to your success
- Giveback, every chance you get
- Be kind as it creates a nicer working environment
- Listen and listen more
- Be loyal to your suppliers and you create an extended team around your business
- And above all… take time to LOVE, LAUGH and LIVE