Aussies love dumplings, steamed buns and wontons, but this lesser-known Chinese street food is making a bang (or should we say Bing) down under.
You may not be able to pronounce it, but Jianbing is the Chinese crepe-like pancake that’s packed full of delicious savoury fillings and traditionally served for breakfast – in fact it’s one of China’s most popular breakfast street snacks.
MasterChef 2018 contestant and street food enthusiast Brendan Pang created two jianbing recipes that will have you travelling to the streets of Beijing from the comfort of your own home: here is the spicy Dan Dan style beef jianbing.
The Dan Dan Bing
Spicy, peanutty, aromatic mince, served in a crisp egg pancake
Preparation: 10 minutes Cooking: 25 minutes
Dan Dan beef mix
400g beef mince
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tbsp shaoxing wine
2 tsp dark soy sauce
1/2 tsp five spice powder
4 eggs, beaten
2 spring onions, finely chopped
1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
4 cos lettuce leaves
4 tbsp peanuts, roasted and chopped
Spicy Peanut Sauce
2 tbsp peanut butter
2 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce 1 tbsp honey
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 cup millet flour (or fine cornmeal) 1/3 cup white flour
1 tsp corn starch
3/4 cup water
- Place all jianbing batter ingredients, plus 1/2 tsp of salt into a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- In a wok, heat vegetable oil over medium heat and brown the beef. Add hoisin, shaoxing wine, dark soy sauce and five-spice powder. Cook until all the liquid is evaporated. Set aside.
- Place all spicy peanut sauce ingredients into a small bowl and mix well.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat and brush with vegetable oil.When the oil begins to shimmer, pour in 1/4 of the jianbing batter. Working quickly, swirl the pan to spread the batter as thinly as possible and cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Pour 1/4 of the beaten egg mix over the crepe, spread quickly and evenly with a spatula, sprinkle with a little spring onion and cook 1-2 minutes until egg is set.
- Flip the crepe and spread the top side with a generous spoonful of the spicy peanut sauce. Place a cos lettuce leaf in the centre and top with dan dan beef mix, cucumber slices, and roast peanuts.
- Fold in half twice and serve immediately. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
The Carousel would like to thank www.australianbeef.com.au for the recipe.