Hemp seeds come from the heart of the hemp plant and I just adore using them for all types of recipes, from making your own hemp milk to this hemp bircher. Creamy and delicious, this needs to be started the day before, making it perfect for when you do your meal prep.
- 85 g (1/2 cup) hemp seeds, plus extra to serve
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon flaxseeds
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 125 g (1/2 cup) coconut cream, plus extra to serve
- 185 ml (3/4 cup) almond, hemp or coconut milk
- 1 green apple, grated, plus extra sliced apple to serve
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon pistachio slivers
- 50 g (1/3 cup) fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or coconut nectar
Place the hemp seeds, chia seeds, flaxseeds, vanilla, cinnamon, coconut yoghurtor cream and milk in a bowl and mix well to combine. Cover and place in the fridge overnight.
When ready to serve, stir through the grated apple, lime zest and juice, and divide between two bowls. Top with an extra dollop of coconut yoghurt
or cream, the apple slices, pistachio slivers, blueberries and a drizzle of your preferred sweetener.
HEALTH TIP A hemp seed is like a little nut with a crisp shell and a soft heart. Up until mid 2017 they were actually restricted from being sold in Australia, though now you can find them for sale in health food shops as well as some supermarkets. Typically, you will find the hearts for sale – already released from their shells – and these have a mild, nutty flavour. In order to be considereda food ingredient in this country, hemp seeds have to contain less than 0.5%
of the psychoactive ingredient tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and are therefore referred to as low-THC hemp.
Click here to pre-order the book.