Need a healthy seafood dish? Then this mouth-watering Hirimasa Kingfish and Petuna Ocean Trout Ceviche recipe is good for you.
This delicacy gives you a delicate flavour and exquisite mouthfeel. Ceviche is a seafood dish mainly in Latin America and the Carribean but the dish is mostly associated with Peru, hence, it’s called Peruvian Ceviche. In this version of recipe, it’s made with Hirimasa Kingfish and Petuna Ocean Trout cured in citrus juices and spiced with chili peppers.
- 200g Hirimasa kingfish fillets
- 200g Petuna ocean trout fillets
- 50ml Apple cider vinegar
- 75ml Fresh lime juice
- 30g Sea salt
- 50g Sugar
- 10 Cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 3 Pickled turmeric onions (pickled onions, fresh turmeric, turmeric powder and green chili)
- Black sesame seeds & baby coriander for garnish
- Slice the fish fillets into your desired shape. Cubes or sashimi-style will work.
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, salt and lime juice (check the mixture for taste, as some apple cider vinegars can be sweeter than others) and spoon over cut fish. Leave for 10 mins to quickly cure.
- For the onions (this is the cheat version): take a standard jar of pickled onions and add 1 knob of fresh grated turmeric, 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and 2 sliced green chilies and add to the pickling liquor from inside the jar, then spoon over onions. Leave for 10-15 mins and you’re good to go.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients and season with the same juice that has been curing the fish.
- Place the fish on top of the salad/onions and garnish with sesame seeds and coriander.
About the Author
Kristian is Head Chef at China Lane: a stylishly relaxed dining experience within the beautiful inner city lane way of Angel Place. Seasonal produce, traditional flavours and modern techniques with a downtown 1930s Shanghai – meets – Mad Men feel.