This Giant Peanut Butter Cup recipe by our baking editor Elise Strachan from My Cupcake Addiction is the perfect special dessert to make for your family – and only requires four ingredients.
Yes, only four.
What’s more this recipe is straight from our baking editor’s first cook book – Sweet! Celebrations, published by Murdoch Books.
Try this recipe and then, no doubt, you’ll be racing to the nearest bookstore to buy Elise’s book.
MAKES ONE 23 CM TART
- 750 g milk chocolate (compound or tempered)
- 600 g smooth peanut butter
- 600 g icing sugar, sifted
- 125 g salted butter, softened
- Grease the bottom of a nonstick 23 cm (9 inch) fluted
tart tin (with a removable bottom) with butter or oil and
line with a round of baking parchment.
- Melt 450 g of the chocolate to a smooth pourable consistency. Pour the chocolate into the bottom of the tart tin, spreading up the sides using a spoon. This should be quite thick and spread evenly over the whole tart tin. Refrigerate for 15 minutes to set.
- Beat the peanut butter, powdered sugar and butter using an electric mixer. The mixture should be well mixed but a little firm and lumpy.
- Remove the chocolate shell from the tin and set aside.
- Scrape the peanut butter filling into the empty tart tin and press firmly until you have a compressed, even disc of peanut butter filling. Cut away a 5 mm border from the outside edges of the peanut butter disc using a knife. Then slide an offset spatula under the filling to release it from the base and transfer it. It will behave a little like pizza dough as you transfer it to the chocolate shell. It should sit just below the edge of the shell.
- Return the entire peanut butter cup to the tart tin (make sure it’s clean).
- Melt the remaining chocolate and pour it onto the top of the peanut butter cup. Use a ruler to even out the top of the peanut butter cup and make it perfectly flat and smooth. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Store and serve at room temperature. Cut with a hot knife to avoid cracking.
Image and recipe from Sweet! Celebrations by Elise Strachan (Murdoch Books $39.99)