Juicing is an excellent way to get a bounty of fruits and vegetables into your diet and starting your day with a freshly made green juice is both delicious and means you can absorb plenty of nutrient rich vitamins and minerals into your body.
It’s also a clever way to ramp up your regular intake of the vegetables and fruit because you can juice a large quantity of carrots, celery and beetroot in every glass of juice which is typically more than you would eat each time you sit down for a meal.
Juicing is also a superb way to wage a war on waste simply by getting creative on what you decide to juice by utilising leftover vegetables at the bottom of your fridge.
To kickstart the healthy ritual of juicing, it’s essential to use a high quality juicer and it’s hard to go past the Australian owned, award-winning MOD Cold Press Juicer.
The product promotes itself as a ‘conscious brand with a belief that healthy people and a healthy planet go hand in hand’.
The MOD Cold Press Juicer is ideal for creating fresh juices, nut milk, and sorbets and it comes with a juicing handbook with plenty of recipes including a five day Cleanse Challenge complete with a shopping list and MOD Juice Flask.
It recommends getting ready the night before by washing and preparing your fresh ingredients so you can kickstart your day with a juice in the morning, and it’s worth knowing that you can keep the juice in a food safe container for up to 72 hours in the fridge
Available in black, white, silver, and red, it features a wide-mouth chute and 65rpm super quiet operation and there’s a custom scrubbing brush for hard to reach areas to remove any remaining fruit and vegetable when you clean the unit.
Assembling the MOD Cold Press requires reading the manual but once you get the hang of it, it gets faster and the manual goes through the set up process step by step with plenty of illustrations which makes it easier to follow.
For the best results, it’s worth following the recommendations in the Juicing Handbook as you’ll get benefit from preparing the fruit and vegetables properly and it will result in more juice and nutrients being produced and help avoid the juicer from clogging, too.
Along with rinsing, it’s often the case that you need to remove the skin of the ingredients and cut each ingredient into smaller pieces which will make the juicing experience more seamless. Worth noting, avocado and bananas can’t be juiced as these are better to use with a blender.
But if you want to make nut milk, then the MOD Cold Press is ideal and nut milk is so much more tasty when it’s freshly made.
One handy tip is not to waste the pulp which is extracted. Once you’ve created your juice, you can use the remaining pulp for recipes such as soup, carrot cake, beetroot gnocchi, veggie patties or bliss balls and even for compost.
The MOD Cold Press Juicer definitely makes it easier to be healthy and perfect for anyone wanting to kickstart healthy habits.
How To Reduce Fruit And Vegetable Waste In Your Household
- End of Season Harvest: Use up excess stone fruit like apricots, peaches and plums by juicing then freezing the juice into icy poles. The natural sweetness is perfect for picky palates and you can even squeeze some veg in too (perhaps add carrot or cucumber). Enjoy the taste of summer for months to come!
- Juice Left Over Leafy Greens & Veg: don’t be afraid to add leafy greens to your juices, spinach, kale, zucchini and even capsicum taste good in juices. If it tastes a little bitter, simply add some lemon or lime to sweeten it up.
- Repurpose Juice Pulp: When juicing, keep and use your veggie juice pulp in recipes: throw it into a casserole or soup, add it to savoury muffins or turn it into veggie patties – zucchini and kale muffins and zucchini and carrot fritters are a must try.
- Compost It: If you aren’t adventurous in the kitchen, you can always compost your juice pulp, donate it to a community garden worm farm or to any neighbours who might keep chickens.
- Blend It: Make a big batch of soup using any leftover or ageing veg in the crisper. It may be summer now, but soup freezes very well and it will come in handy over the coming colder months.
- Freeze It: Freeze leftover berries like strawberries or raspberries and use the MOD Cold Press Juicer to turn them into delicious sorbet – a healthy sweet treat for the whole family.
Check out more about the MOD Cold Press Juicer below: