In the heart of Sydney’s CBD, the sprawling space at the foot of the majestic St Mary’s Cathedral was transformed into a grandeur, transparent marquee for the David Jones Autumn Winter 17 show.
And strutting her stuff on stage was international supermodel, Karlie Kloss, who took centre stage of the sartorial spectacle.
Here we look at the highlights of the fashion show and take a look at how to get the looks created on the night.
From the outfits, to the hair and makeup behind the scenes, we have it covered.
Karlie Kloss was in good (and glamorous) company, with top Australian models Bridget Malcom, Jesinta Franklin, Jessica Gomes and Charlee Fraser also hitting the catwalk.
Within its clear walls and with the backdrop of the iconic Cathedral, there were fashionable fireworks as the style set sipped Bollinger champagne and watched the bold, the pretty and the fancy play out by way of fabric, texture and colour.
The show was reflective of the David Jones’ Autumn Winter Campaign theme ‘Live Outside The Seasons’, which captured the rapid and dramatic shifts of the seasons in Australia. The spectacular set was bought to life with integrated seasonal aspects such as wind and rain, and for the first time, closed with a stunning showcase of the David Jones bridal gowns.
Beauty wise, Aveda’s Creative Director for David Jones, Terri Robertson-Kirkwood, lead the hair charge, whilst Australia’s beauty dynamo, Napoleon Perdis held the makeup fort. Armed with an exclusive backstage pass, we gleaned the hair and makeup how to’s from the experts.
How To: Hair
Aveda’s Creative Director for David Jones, Terri Robertson-Kirkwood, lead the Aveda Style Team to create the hair look, celebrating strong beauty and individualism by fusing infiniteness with fashion. “The hair reflects this theme and is all about breaking barriers and not being defined by trends, which we are seeing on both the international and couture runways”, says Robertson-Kirkwood.
“The look embraces a bold, independent woman who is still fluid and beautiful. The texture is slick and shiny on the crown moving to a more natural loose texture and is a nod to the strong and impressive styles showcased on the runway this season”.
1. Prep damp hair using a coin-size amount of Aveda Color Conserve™ Daily Color Protect to ensure your hair is protected against environmental stressors. Run the product through mid-lengths and ends. Then create a defined middle part using a fine tooth comb.
2. Spritz hair root to ends with Aveda Volumizing Tonic to help build body and add shine.
3. Use a pea size amount of Aveda Brilliant™ Retexturing Gel and apply to the part and crown of your head. This will provide softness, hold and shine.
4. Blow-dry hair in rough sections in a downwards motion.
PRO TIP: Choose a slow-speed with high heat to give more control. Pay extra attention on grooming the hair without effecting the volume.
5. At the hairline (in front of your ear), take out two small (1cm) sections and then tuck the rest of your hair behind your ears. Spray Aveda Air Control to set the top of the hair. Twist the two separated sections, then pull back and secure with elastic at the back of your head.
6. Tilt your head back and puff Aveda Shampure™ Dry Shampoo into the back of the hair to enhance natural volume and texture.
7. Finish with a slip of Aveda Damage Remedy™ Split End Repair on the very ends of your hair to add extra polish, binding any split ends back together for beautiful, touchable hair.
How To: Makeup
Makeup guru, Napoleon Perdis devised two looks for the show, ‘Fuse It’ and ‘Frame It’. Both skewed towards a strong, smokey eye and a matte, natural lip, with variations of the smokey eye playing out in petrol blue and rust.
• Prep and tone the skin with Dragon Blood Extract Facial Cleanser and Toner Infusion.
a) Dampen the skin with water then massage Dragon Blood Extract Facial Cleanser all over face and rinse clean with water.
b) Tone and hydrate the skin by spritzing Dragon Blood Extract Toner Infusion all over the face. • For an all-day glow, prime the skin with Auto Pilot Bronzing Skin Primer.
BROWS & MASCARA
• Define the brows and hold in place with Wand-er Brow.
• Open the eyes and begin to build depth with Own It! Mascara Jet; apply a rich coat to the top lashes.
• Even the complexion with Personal Trainer Serum Foundation; blend over the skin with fingertips or a Pro Makeup Sponge.
• Conceal dark circles and blemishes with Hide It! Concealer; dab onto the skin using the in-built applicator then fuse and blend with a Pro Makeup Sponge.
• Illuminate and tone the skin with a shade of Tone It! Face + Body Reflective Contour to match your complexion; sweep over the top of the cheekbones, down the bridge of the nose, onto the chin and Cupid’s Bow.
• Add life to the face by sweeping a shade of Tone It! Face + Body Reflective Contour deeper than your complexion over the cheekbones.
• Stain the lips with Matte It! Lip Gloss Nude Addict; tap over the lips using your fingertips.
• Apply China Doll Gel Eyeliner Yin along the upper and lower lash lines and water lines and blend and fuse the edges for a smokey finish, then extend at the outer corner of the eye to lift and elongate the eyes.
• Sweep a combo of Mark It! Eye Palette Expression Charcoal and Rust around the lash lines to fuse and blend the eyeliner further.
• Apply China Doll Gel Eyeliner Dynasty along the upper and lower lash lines and water lines and blend and fuse the edges for a smokey finish, then extend at the outer corner of the eye to lift and elongate the eyes.
• Sweep Mark It! Eye Palette Rust through the socket and along the lower lash lines to frame the eyes.
• Sweep Mark It! Eye Palette Charcoal over the mobile lid and into the crease and press firmly into the lower lash line to smoke out the eyes.