To make Tomato-Braised Okra with Za’Atar heat the oil or fat in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes, or until softened and translucent.
Add the garlic, chilli, za’atar and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
Next, stir in the okra, tomatoes, broth or stock and lemon zest and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened and the okra is cooked through.
Mix in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle over some extra za’atar, drizzle with olive oil and serve.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or good-quality animal fat
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 long red chilli, halved, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons za’atar, plus extra to serve
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 600g fresh okra pods, trimmed
- 400g tomatoes, diced
- 400ml Chicken Bone Broth or vegetable stock
- finely grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- extra-virgin olive oil, to serve
‘Eat Your Greens by Pete Evans, Published by Plum, RRP $39.99, Photography by William Meppem’
Pete Evans’ Eat Your Greens: A Healthy But Tasty Vegetable Masala