We can’t wait to share a series of recipes from Dr Kerryn Phelps and her dietician daughter Jaime Rose Chambers from their new book, Everyday Food as Medicine.
Here is the mother and daughter recipe for Freekeh With Cauliflower, Pomegranate And Mint…..just delicious! And, healthy too.
Prep + Cook Time 55 MINUTES
The doctor says:
Studies show that some components of pomegranate fruit can have an anti-inflammatory effect on the gut.
The dietitian says:
Freekeh is a wheat-based wholegrain. It is high in insoluble fibre which can help with bowel movements by adding bulk to a stool.
- 11⁄2 cups (300g) wholegrain greenwheat freekeh
- 1 litre (4 cups) vegetable stock 1 small cauliflower (1kg), cut into florets
- 1⁄3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 11⁄2 cups (150g) walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup (100g) French-style dried green lentils
- 200g (61⁄2oz) green beans, halved crossways
- 2⁄3 cup (160g) pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup mint leaves, torn
- 1 cup coriander (cilantro) leaves, torn
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, torn
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 300g (91⁄2oz) labne in oil, drained
1 Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
2 Bring freekeh, stock and 1⁄2 cup (125ml) water to the boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, for 50 minutes or until freekeh is tender. Drain, if any liquid remains. Transfer freekeh to a large bowl.
3 Meanwhile, place cauliflower on lined oven tray; drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil and sprinkle with cumin, then toss to coat. Season. Bake for 30 minutes or until tender, adding walnuts to tray for the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
4 Cook lentils in boiling water for 15 minutes or until tender; drain. Cool under cold running water; drain.
5 Boil, steam or microwave beans until just tender; drain. Cool under cold running water; drain.
6 Add cauliflower mixture, lentils and beans to freekeh, then add pomegranate seeds, herbs, vinegar and remaining oil; toss gently to combine. Season to taste. Serve salad topped with labne.
SWAP Use red or brown rice instead of freekeh, if you prefer. Check the rice at 45 minutes cooking time