If you’ve made yourself a promise to join the clean eating food trend next year, then avocados are the perfect way to kick off 2021.
The New Year is the fresh start we all look for to get our diets and health back on track. Clean eating is all about consuming whole or ‘real’ foods that are as close to their natural state as possible without being processed or having other ingredients added to them.
Nadia Lim, qualified dietician award-winning author says New Zealand avocados fit perfectly with this concept and are an easy, delicious, nutrient-dense option you can enjoy anywhere, anytime.
“Avocados are one of my favourite foods because they not only taste great but are so nutritious – they’re the best way I know to get a good dose of healthy fats, vitamins and minerals” says Lim.
Avocados and clean eating are trending worldwide at the moment, partly due to the growing popularity of CrossFit and Paleo diets (which advocate people only eat foods our hunter-gatherer ancestors would have had access to).
And given New Zealand has produced a record avocado crop this season, they are the perfect way to launch your New Year clean eating plan!
Here are five reasons why you should make eating avocados a priority in 2021:
- Avocados are a nutrient booster – they help your body absorb more nutrients from other fruit and vegetables you eat. They’re also cholesterol free, and a source of iron, vitamin C and fibre.
- Avocados are great for vegans and vegetarians – they contain oils and protein which means they can be used as a substitute for butter, cheese and meat.
- Avocados are linked to staying slim – international research published in Nutrition Journal shows people who regularly eat avocados weigh 3.4kg less on average, and have waistlines around 4cm smaller, than those who don’t. Avocados are rich in monounsaturated (‘good’) fats and are a low GI (glycemic index) food, so they will help you to feel fuller for longer.
- Avocados are versatile – you can eat them on toast, make gourmet salads, blend them in smoothies, use them when baking and even whip up delicious desserts! Their creamy texture makes them perfect for mousses, ice cream and decadent sweet treats like an avocado lime and coconut cheesecake. Remember, clean eating should taste as good as well!
- Avocados are everywhere – they’re trending all over social media, with clean eating gurus, celebrities and foodie experts all raving about how amazing they are. They’re also home grown – and you gotta love New Zealand made.
Clean eating expert Millie Elder-Holmes is a big fan of avocados and regularly posts pictures of healthy meals on her Clean Eatz NZ Facebook page.
Millie is focussed on conscious living and looking at food for its nutritional value. “Eating organic, nutritionally-rich real food is the key to clean eating,” she explains. “Avocados are one of my absolute favourite ingredients. I regularly have them for breakfast with poached eggs, in salads for lunch or dinner, or with a handful of nuts for a great mid-afternoon snack.”
Millie also recommends drizzling a little balsamic vinegar over half a ripe avocado, or squeezing a few drops of lemon juice over avocado slices to help keep them fresh and green.
“They’re a yummy meal all on their own and you don’t have to do anything fancy to them. Just grab a spoon and enjoy!”
Avocados are indeed one of nature’s super foods so start your wholefood, clean eating journey in 2021 by eating some today.
Here Are Some Fabulous Avocado Inspo Recipes
About New Zealand Avocado
Avocados are the third-largest fresh fruit export from New Zealand. New Zealand Avocado works with the New Zealand industry to set export standards, facilitate market access, promote avocados from New Zealand and provide technical information to all New Zealand growers, of which there are more than 1600, based mainly in the Bay of Plenty and Northland.
What’s your favourite way to eat Avocado? Tell us in the comments section below…