It’s cold and dark, you’re tired and just want five minutes more in bed. You’re not ready to face the morning yet your day is calling. Well actually, it’s dragging you out of bed and you finally admit to yourself you’re in the blustery Winter season.
With seasons changing there’s always an adjustment. Each season has a different energy and pace for us to work with and without a reset, Winter energy can be heavy and isolating. A simple reset is what strengthens our mindset (physical, mental and emotional) and instantly changes how we experience Winter.
We have four seasons for a reason. It’s a simple way for us to measure time and how to use our energy. Let’s think about it for a moment, Spring to Summer is about gaining momentum to expend our energy, while Autumn to Winter is about reducing and conserving our energy. Winter allows us to slow down our pace, restore and rejuvenate. As we slow down, we create time for reflection and connecting inwardly. As our pace changes in Winter, it’s also reflected in our diet. We change to warmer, heavier meals as if we go into a slight hibernation. Add Netflix into the equation and we can blissfully stay in our caves.
Without a reset (with whatever method works for you), Winter can be harsh! It can affect your mood, your motivation and more importantly impact on how you deal with day to day life. A reset doesn’t have to be a ‘big deal’ just a few simple techniques that can ease you into your day in the slower, more cooler months.
Let me share a few resets that you can do throughout your week and there is a bonus… they can all be done first thing in the morning while still lying in bed!
Simple Winter Resets
- Breathe into your naval – this warms the entire body up and gets your energy moving
- Put your right hand over your left and place on your belly button
- Inhale into the palms of your hands whilst pushing your stomach out – then pause for 3 seconds
- As you exhale, pull your navel towards the back of your spine – hold here for 3 seconds
- Repeat this exercise for 1 -2 minutes
- Nostril breathing – balances the Left and Right Brain for easy focus and decision making
- Take your right (hand) thumb, place over and close your right nostril
- Breathe in slowly through your left nostril and exhale through same nostril, then release your thumb
- Place your pinkie (same side hand) finger, place and close your left nostril
- Breathe in slowly through your right nostril, then exhale through same nostril
- Repeat this exercise for 2 minutes
- Warming the heart – a soft healing for the heart, it’s like getting a big hug for your day
- Rub your palms vigorously for 1-2 minutes, we really want to create heat in the palms
- Place both hands in the centre of your chest, your heart space and breathe in the warmth from your hands deeply and slowly with eyes closed for 2-3 minutes
You don’t have to do all three methods together but doing them alternately throughout the Autumn to Winter months allows the body, mind and heart to reset gently. Giving you the feeling of a soft invigoration and a warm sensation throughout your body.
So, if you’re not ready to get out of bed yet, try one of these simple resets (if you’re feeling adventurous, do all three). It will make all the difference from dragging yourself out of bed to finding your inner Winter glow.
#simonnelee #simonneleemethod #winterblues #changeofseason #depression #healing #energy #mood