For the past few years the world’s favourite wizard has tried valiantly to reinvent himself to avoid being typecast as Harry Potter for the rest of his life.
This heartwarming footage shows a fresh-faced 11-year-old Daniel reading his lines while having a conversation with ‘Hagrid’.
The pair discuss dragon’s eggs before Daniel is seen laughing while pretending to watch a Norwegian Ridgeback hatch.
Speaking to The Times, Daniel, now 26, explained that a friend recently sent him the tape on YouTube.
“And I was like, ‘Oh s***! OK…’”
He explained to the paper that the tapes were filmed “at a stage when you hate your face anyway, and anything it does is repellent to you”.
Since then, of course, the world’s most recognisable child actor has cast his Potter robes aside in some dark and sinister places.
In 2006 as a guest-star on Ricky Gervais’ BBC series Extras he tries to seduce every woman he meets, and at one point even flicks a condom onto the head of Dame Diana Rigg.
In March, 2016, you can also see him play hunchback Igor in Victor Frankenstein opposite James McAvoy.
Here are seven other more offbeat facts you may be surprised to learn about Daniel.
1. Whilst filming the dark fantasy horror film Horns (2014) in Canada he unknowingly poisoned himself by drinking water mixed with anti-freeze.
2. Daniel admits that his weirdest role-preparation was “waxing my arse” for stage show Equus, which he told Empire Magazine was “f***ing painful”
3. He admits he was drunk during filming of Harry Potter as his drinking problem spiralled out of control. While he says he never drank on set, he admits that his alcohol consumpition left him “dead behind the eyes”.
4. Daniel has shown his aptitude for rapping numerous times, most notably during his appearance on Jimmy Fallon’s The Tonight Show where he rapped Blackalicious’ ‘Alphabet Aerobics’
5. Daniel also told Jimmy Fallon last month that he’s been shaving his head recently to avoid “looking like a toothbrush”.
6. He voiced character ‘Edmund’ on The Simpsons in 2010.
7. The moment that made him most nervous was when he was dancing at the Tony Awards and noticed Al Pacino staring at him.