There are around 1 million known animal species on our planet. The Animal Kingdom is a source of endless wonder, full of magnificent and now often threatened wildlife. It is important that we protect our natural ecosystems and conserve biodiversity so that we can rejoice in how weird and wacky the natural world is for many more years to come.
1. One species of jellyfish is immortal. It can revert back to its child state after having become sexually mature, and therefore never dies.
2. A snail can sleep for three years at a time.
3. There are 1 million ants for every human in the world.
4. A pig’s orgasm lasts 30 minutes. Lucky pigs.
5. A blue whale weighs as much as three elephants and is as long as three Greyhound buses.
6. A bat can eat up to 1 thousand insects per hour.
7. Octopuses have three hearts.
8 Sharks kill fewer than 10 people per year. Humans kill about 100 million sharks per year.
9. Wild dolphins call each other by name. “Oi, Flipper!”
10. Elephants have a specific alarm call that means “human”.
11. Dogs’ sense of smell is about 100, 000 times stronger than humans’. However, they have only one-sixth our number of taste buds.
12. Animals with smaller bodies and faster metabolism such as chipmunks and squirrels see in slow motion.
13. The now extinct colossal penguin stood as tall as 2.03 metre basket ball legend LeBron James.
14. The male gentoo and Adelie penguins “propose” to females by giving them a pebble.
15. Polar bears have black skin and see-through fur.
16. Reindeer eyeballs turn blue in winter to help them see at lower light levels.
17. Honeybees can flap their wings 200 times per second.
18. A sea lion is the first nonhuman mammal with a proven ability to keep a beat.
19. Male koalas have two penises, and female koalas have two vaginas.
20. At birth, a panda is smaller than a mouse and weighs about four ounces.
21. The flamingo can only eat when its head is upside-down.
22. A female ferret will die if it goes into heat (is horny) and cannot find a mate.
23. The venom of the king cobra is so deadly that just one gram of it is enough to kill a person 150 times over.
24. The bat is the only mammal that can fly.
25. The leg bones of a bat are so thin that no bat can walk.
26. The only mammals to undergo menopause are elephants, humpback whales and human females.
27. Cows can sleep standing up, but they can only dream lying down.
28. A housefly hums in the key of F.
29. Sea otters hold each other’s paws when they sleep so they don’t drift apart.
Check out http://www.wwf.org.au to find out how you can help the animals.