Cricut Joy is ideal for quick and precise cutting different craft materials and drawing. This machine is compact and an ideal way to create personalized products, greeting cards, vinyl stickers, decals and iron on t-shirts.
Cricut Joy Setup
The box contains a Cricut Joy machine, power cord and adapter, black fine point pen, an envelope containing a let’s get started instructions, warranty card, green StandardGrip adhesive mat, silver smart vinyl, blue cardboard to create your first project.
Before purchasing you’ll want to check you have a compatible computer or mobile device, and a high-speed internet connection. You’ll need to head to the dedicated setup webpage for instructions: https://www.cricut.com/setup or download the app.
The app includes 50 pre-designed projects to select from. You can purchase other project templates for under ten dollars. Don’t forget you can also upload your own designs and ones you find online. There are numerous websites packed with free SVG files suitable.
Browse projects and use the website:
You’ll need to pair the app to your machine. I turned on location settings, but did not allow access to contacts.
After you have selected your design, it’s then a simple three step process. Select the material you’re using, load the correct tools and materials (in the front), and then tap to go. You’ll need to unload and press the finish button.
I was creating craft projects within half an hour. My first couple of attempts took a couple of minutes to be completed. Perhaps the hardest part is selecting a design.
You might like to purchase some extra vinyl and materials with your machine. I’d suggest purchasing the starter tool kit which contains three helpful tools:
- Spatula – to carefully life materials from your mat
- Weeder – to remove unwanted vinyl and iron-on pieces
- Scraper – to easily clean your mat and apply vinyl designs
Cricut Joy Features
The Cricut Joy builds on the technology from the two larger machines, but takes up a third of the space. This innovation is based on technology found in robotics, CNC machinery, or other automated devices.
Other key technological and design elements include:
- Compact (15cm) and less than 1.8kgs size that sets up instantly and packs away easily
- Accurate precision and speed of Cricut’s full-size smart cutting machines at 75 percent less weight and one-third of the size
- Buttonless design with Bluetooth wireless connectivity for designing and cutting
- Free, downloadable design app, Design Space®,
- Cuts over 50 different types of materials
- Access to nearly 130,000 images and ready-to-make projects in Design Space
- Load and go sensor technology that facilitates automated loading of materials and detection of material length
- Single, combined housing unit to hold blade or pen tools
- Off-axis motor design that reduces the carriage size by 73 percent
Cricut software works on mobile devices and laptops. It’s in the Cloud and available for PC, Mac, iOS, and Android. Just download the app and create an account. You’ll then need to select your machine.
Cricut Joy enables users to cut single designs up to 1.2 metres long. You can also create continuous designs up to 6 metres with Smart Materials™. Imagine cutting 100 stars to decorate your child’s room within minutes. Additionally, you can create customized greeting cards easier.
You can use Cricut materials like iron-on, vinyl, and Cricut’s revolutionary Infusible Ink™ system to create custom projects. You can make personalized products, custom stickers, decals, labels, and more in as little as 15 minutes.
It’s best to start off with a design from the library. When you get the hang of it, then you can upload designs from other users and even design your own patterns.
Cricut Joy™ is a fun compact smart cutting machine that allows an easier, more convenient way to personalise everyday items.