Almost anyone who has heard the word yoga has heard the word Warrior. Whether you are preparing for battle or preparing for your Vinyasa flow this pose looks exactly as it sounds. Make it strong and make it proud!
- Starting in your downward dog, raise the right leg in the air and step the foot in between the hands
- Cup the back heel down so its at a 45 degree angle with the toes still pointing towards the front of the mat
- Lift both arms up to the sky, keeping the arms at shoulder width apart
- Activate your fingers, spreading them wide and reaching them towards the ceiling
- Push down through the outside pinky toe edge of your back foot (this will release pressure off your front thigh, especially if you have to hold the pose for a longer period of time)
- Make sure you keep a micro bend in the back knee to protect the knee joint
- Bend into your front knee until the knee is inline with your front ankle
- Relax your front toes by lifting them up and then placing them lightly back down to the floor
- Tuck your pelvis under, and square off your hips to the front of the room
- Pull your belly button to the spine, switching on the core
- Relax your neck, looking straight ahead
- Inhale the leg up in the air
- Exhale the foot in between the hands
- Inhale arms up
- Continue to inhale and exhale out through your nose
- Strengthens your thighs, ankles, arms, shoulders and back
- Opens your hips
- Improves balance, energy, stability and focus
Sammy Veall owns and runs Yoga 213 with studios in Bondi Junction, Sydney and South Yarra, Melbourne.
Photography by Deanna Geralch.