With many people struggling through this period of social distancing, The Carousel exclusively interviewed Gumtree Australia’s Head of Marketing, Amanda Behre to talk about Gumtree’s initiative, the Gummie Support Network, helping locals with groceries, essentials and other pressing needs.
What are the benefits?
The Gummie Support Network is an initiative designed to bring together those in need of essential items and services, with those able to provide them. From delivering groceries or essentials, to assisting small businesses, checking on pets and providing online lessons for housebound kids, the Gummie Support Network aims to further connect local communities, via the hashtag, #LocalLegends.
With community at its heart, Gumtree hopes this will provide an additional way for its users to support each other via acts of kindness and celebrate the Local Legends on the platform, that are already making a difference in people’s lives.
How does it work?
We want to encourage kind and neighbourly behaviour, especially during this unprecedented health crisis. If you’re willing to help by offering an essential service or item to someone vulnerable, elderly or in need of support follow these simple steps:
- Create a new listing on Gumtree and add the #LocalLegends hashtag to both listing title and description in any category
- Mark as ‘Offering’ when drafting your listing
- Select new ‘Contactless trade’ option and follow Gumtree’s safe trading tips
If you would like to ask for help, follow these simple steps:
- Type the #LocalLegends hashtag into the search bar
- Or create a ‘wanted’ listing and add the #LocalLegends hashtag to both your listing title and description in any category
- Request or offer ‘contactless trade’ and follow Gumtree’s safe trading tips
What changes has Gumtree made during this period?
Gumtree has launched a new ‘Contactless Trade’ badge for Gummies to add to listings as a signal to the community that they are following COVID-19 Safety Precautions. Users can select the badge when posting their listing to demonstrate that they are willing to conduct video inspections, transfer funds electronically and use a postal or courier service.
Additionally, Gumtree has partnered with courier service, Sendle, to help facilitate reliable and safe contactless delivery for Gumtree transactions during the pandemic. Sendle offers a door-to-door service and free premium membership to all Gummies looking for a convenient and safe delivery alternative.
The health and safety of our community is always our number one priority. To ensure we’re all doing our part to prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have urged users to follow the latest Government guidelines and limit face-to-face trading to essential goods and services.
For essential face-to-face trade, our advice is to avoid direct contact and distance yourself by following our safe trading tips:
- Wash hands before & after you meet up to trade
- Clean items
- Do a video inspection
- Contactless delivery & pickup – using our new ‘Contactless trade’ badge and Sendle, our delivery partner
- Rate, don’t shake
- Pay & be paid with a form of electronic payment
- Act responsibly
Are there any trends you can share?
We’ve noticed a number of changes in trading behaviour over the last few weeks, with some of the most searched for items on the platform including:
- Gym equipment including weights
- Nintendo Switch
Additionally, from 29 March – 11 April, we’ve seen the following category trends:
- Browsing within the Automotive
category has increased by 8%
- Specifically there has been a 12% increase in the number of people searching for cars and 17% increase in parts & accessories
- Browsing within the Home
& Garden category has increased by 26%
- Specifically there has been a 25% increase in the number of people searching for furniture, 15% in garden related items and 17% in appliances
- Browsing within the Sport
& Fitness category has increased by 16%
- Gym fitness remains the most popular but we’ve also seen a 36% increase in the number of people searching for bicycles.
- Browsing within the Electronic & Computers category has increased by 23%
Specifically there has been a 14% increase in the number of people searching for computers and a 16% increase in the number of people searching for video gaming consoles.