The Sydney-based personal trainer sisters say nothing beats weight-based circuits.
“When we do circuits, our goal is fat loss, not weight loss and we believe circuits are the best way to burn fat, without compromising and burning the necessary muscle we like to have to shape our bodies,” say The Base Body Babes.
“Even when we are doing circuits we are still trying to lift fairly heavy weights, ensuring we complete all reps with perfect form.”
When beginning any program Diana and Felicia always recommend starting light and aiming to progress to heavier weights each session.
Every week their aim is to try and lift a little bit more than the week before.
They do this circuit below two days per week, together with two strength days, to ensure they are always achieving strength gains and keeping fit and in shape.
“There is no messing around in the gym for us, we have a plan and we stick to it.”
CIRCUIT 1: Full Body Burner
12 x Split Squat (each leg)
12 x Unilateral Standing Shoulder Press (each arm)
12 x Single Leg Glute Bridge (each leg)
12 x Standing One Arm Row (each arm)
30 seconds x Skipping
20 seconds x Plank (hold for 20-45 seconds depending on strength level)
• Perform each exercise back to back 1-6
• Rest for 120 seconds after each circuit
• Repeat the circuit 4-6 times
Note: If you feel you would like to challenge yourself a little more, then we suggest adding or increasing weight. However, technique is most important when lifting, so do not compromise your technique. Ensure you are completing all reps and sets with perfect technique before increasing the weights.
1. Hold a dumbbell in each hand down by the sides of your body
2. Place one foot back, standing on the ball of your back foot whilst the front foot remains flat on the floor throughout the entire movement
3. Space your feet slightly apart (imagining your feet are on rails, not on a tight rope)
4. Keeping your chest up and looking straight ahead
5. Lower your back knee down towards the ground while still maintaining a neutral spine and perfect posture 6. Ensure your front knee remains behind your toe throughout the movement
7. Stand back up
8. Complete all reps on one side before swapping to the next side
UNILATERAL STANDING SHOULDER PRESS
1. Standing with your feet shoulder width apart
2. Place one dumbbell on your shoulder with a neutral grip and press the dumbbell directly above your head (keeping your core engaged and your knees slightly soft throughout the entire movement)
3. Lower the dumbbell back down to your shoulder
4. Repeat the movement
5. Complete all reps on one side before swapping to the next side
SINGLE LEG GLUTE BRIDGE
1. Begin by laying down on the floor on your back
2. Place your hands down by your side palms pressing down on the ground
3. Bring your feet up to your bottom pressing one foot into the ground
4. Lift one leg up towards the sky and squeeze your glutes
5. Lower your hips back down and repeat the movement
6. Complete all reps on one side before swapping to the next side
STANDING ONE ARM ROW
1. Pick up the dumbbells with a parallel grip (palms facing each other)
2. Bring your body down till you reach parallel to the ground
3. Pull the dumbbells towards the side of your body, squeezing your upper back 4. Maintain a neutral spine throughout the movement
5. Release the dumbbells back down and repeat the movement
1. Keep your elbows close to your sides while jumping
2. If you want a challenge, DOUBLE ROPE IT!
1. Begin in a push up position on your elbows and toes
2. Rotate your hips forward (think about tilting your hips up towards your chest), squeezing your abdominals. 3. Hold this plank position for 20-45 seconds depending on your strength level