If there”s anything wonderful that’s come out of the Covid-19 pandemic, it’s the innovations in home wellness that we’ve been seeing. Undoubtedly, the past two years have tested both people and business beyond measure. However when times are tough, opportunities arise, as we have seen in abundance in the home wellness space.
Here, five of the best and most effective home wellness innovations launched in Australia in 2020-2021.
Vitruvian is an intelligent new home wellness brand hailing from Australia. Combining technology with resistance training, the V-Form Trainer essentially acts as an entire home gym within the one device.
Vitruvian is the brainchild of Jon Gregory, a Perth based former high frequency trader who specialises in algorithms. Jon recognised that there needed to be a better way to train other than simply lifting weights around so created a device that solves some of the problems associated with weight training. For example:
- It is hard to measure your progress from home to ensure you keep improving unless you really know what you are doing;
- It is hard to do eccentric training (a top way athletes like to train) without a personal trainer present, to allow you to get the benefits of the eccentric phase of the movement.
- Many people training at home won’t lift as much as they can in order to save them having to change weights mid set.
Jon spent 10 years collaborating with some of the smartest brains in sport and science. The result? The V-Form Trainer.
The V-Form is revolutionising the strength training market, making resistance training more intelligent as it can. It allows you to apply force in the eccentric (downward) phase of an exercise, meaning you work twice as hard and in half the time. The app records everything and will set the weight for you to help you improve each time you train, and it also knows to change the weight, even if you are in the middle of the workout, based on how you are holding the handle.
Finding connection and motivation are two challenges that people face when training from home. When you go to a gym or studio, having others around helps to keep you feeling motivated. At home however, it can be easy to just stop training, especially if you become distracted or begin to feel tired.
Enter, FLOE, the world’s first online gym, integrating live two-way video technology with premium home gym equipment. Workouts are led by qualified instructors and you book into class just as you would a normal gym class. The instructors can also see you, giving you that connection and motivation as you workout together.
Every membership comes with a stand so that your phone or tablet can be at eye level, so it feels as though the instructor is actually in the room with you. All classes are LIVE and broadcast from FLOE’s purpose built studio, with over 100 classes per week you can book into.
For those who want to elevate their workout with equipment, the FLOE Gym offers a stylish and diverse home gym solution that conveniently packs into one box, housing equipment for strength, pilates and yoga. The box also doubles as a workout bench and transforms into a Barre. It’s a piece that looks at home in even the most stylishly designed dwelling.
22 degree exercise bikes
Indoor cycling has been around since fitness classes originated, and over the years we have seen all types of indoor cycling classes from rhythm riding, to virtually cycling through picturesque places around the world and more.
Now, we have Infinite Cycle@ Home exercise bikes that tilt at 22 degrees. Why? This angle offers more of a full body workout. Having to keep the tilt under control means more use of your abs and arms. Additionally, riders show up on screen as an avatar so you can race other people in your class. The gamification element adds motivation to keep you going in the sweaty class!
MiHigh Infrared Sauna Blanket
Another Aussie company to make serious waves in 2020, the MiHIGH Infrared Sauna Blanket allows users to reap the benefits of an infrared sauna from home. These benefits include:
- Faster detoxification: Infrared heat is seven times more detoxifying than regular heat. That means instead of just sweating out water, you’re also sweating out toxins that normal saunas don’t have the power to do.
- Calmness: Infrared heat allows your body to produce an abundance of calming chemicals. You’ll step out of your blanket feeling happier, less stressed, and you’ll enjoy deeper, better quality sleep.
- Burn Calories: A 30-minute jog burns around 300 calories. A 30-minute session in your MiHIGH Infrared Blanket will burn up to 600 calories. Oh, and you can burn these calories without leaving your own bed!