Try this twist on a traditional vegie burger by adding a blue cheese slice melted over a pumpkin, broccoli, mushroom and walnut
For the vegie burger patties:
500g pumpkin, peeled and cut into 3cm cubes
200g broccoli florets
1 medium brown onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
200g Swiss Brown mushrooms, finely chopped
1 x 400g tin brown lentils, drained
½ teaspoon ground cumin
Handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1½ cups firmly-packed fresh breadcrumbs
2 large egg yolks
For the avocado mayo:
2 ripe avocados
3 tablespoons sour cream
Juice 1 lemon
2 tablespoons olive oil
You will also need:
Rice bran oil
4 slices Castello Burger Blue cheese
4 soft, seeded bread rolls
Small bag baby spinach
Sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C.
2. Line a tray with baking paper, add pumpkin cubes into a mixing bowl with a glug of
olive oil and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper, toss well to coat then
turn out onto baking tray. Roast in oven for 20-25 mins or until soft in the middle when
tested with a knife. Remove and allow to cool. Then blitz to a smooth consistency in a
3. Whilst pumpkin is roasting, semi-fill a medium-sized pot with water and bring to the
boil. Add broccoli florets and simmer over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, drain and allow
to cool before adding to a food processor and blending to a bread crumb consistency.
4. Heat a tablespoon of rice bran oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add
chopped onions and cook for 4 minutes stirring often, add garlic and chopped
mushrooms, cook over medium-high heat, stirring often for 5-6 minutes or until moisture
is removed from mushrooms and cooked through. Allow to cool.
5. Add onion/mushroom mixture into a large mixing bowl followed by the pumpkin
puree, broccoli, walnuts, lentils, cumin, parsley, breadcrumbs and egg yolk, season well
with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Combine all together thoroughly.
6. Using a 9cm round metal burger mould, shape mixture into 8 patties. Plate on a tray
lined with baking parchment, cover with cling wrap and chill in fridge for 2-3 hours.
7. To make the avocado mayo, add avocado flesh to a food processor along with all the
other ingredients, blitz to a smooth, creamy consistency. Test for seasoning and add
more S/P if required.
8. Heat a few glugs of rice bran oil in a large non-stick frying pan, cook patties in 2
batches over medium heat for 2 minutes before carefully flipping over and repeating on
second side. Transfer to oven and cook for 20 minutes.
9. To assemble, place a small handful of spinach leaves on the bun base, top with
burger, add sauce and Castello Burger Blue cheese slice. Top with burger lid.
The Carousel would like to thank Castello Cheese for this recipe.