Lyndey Milan’s White Chocolate Mascarpone Mousse With Berries In Sparkling Shiraz Syrup
Watch Lyndey’s Cracking Christmas on LifeStyle FOOD on Saturday 16 December, her Classic Christmas at 11.50am and Contemporary Christmas at 12.20pm
Preparation 20 minutes (plus 2 hours setting time)
Cooking 10 minutes
200g white chocolate
½ cup (140g) mascarpone cheese
3 punnets berries, such as strawberries and/or blueberries
Sparkling Shiraz syrup
1 cup (250ml) sparkling Shiraz
¾ cup (180g) caster sugar
- Melt white chocolate over a double boiler, making sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl. Stir from time to time until smooth. Fold in mascarpone then set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Whip cream until soft peaks form then, using a large metal spoon, quickly fold into white chocolate mixture. Should the mixture split, add water, one teaspoon at a time, whisking until smooth. Spoon into eight individual dessert cups or glasses and refrigerate for two hours or until firm.
- Meanwhile, make sparkling shiraz syrup by combining sparkling shiraz and caster sugar in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves, increase heat to medium and simmer vigorously for 15 minutes or until the syrup thickens. Set aside to cool but do not refrigerate.
- Prepare the berries by thickly slicing the strawberries. Combine berries and cooled sparkling shiraz syrup in a glass bowl. Mix gently to combine.
- To serve, spoon berries and syrup over white chocolate mousse.