There is everything you need to make the perfect Christmas dinner sing. Our favourite cook Lyndey Milan has provided The Carousel with her special recipe for Honey Glazed Ham with Mustard Fruits and Cranberry Relish.
Lyndey notes her special cooking tip: pour 2cms of water into the bottom of the oven tray or line with foil to help with prevent glaze from dripping down, burning and sticking to the tray.
Serves a crowd
Cooking 80 minutes
Preparation 20 minutes
1 x 7kg leg of ham
¼ cup whole cloves
½ cup (175g) honey
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon (20ml) dry sherry
2 teaspoons (10ml) soy sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 (90g) lime
3/4 cups (165g) caster sugar
¼ cup (60ml) white wine vinegar
300g mixed glace fruit, eg figs, oranges, apricots, pineapple, pears, cherries, chopped
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Cranberry and apple relish
2 medium (300g) green apples, peeled, chopped coarsely
1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
½ cup (125ml) orange juice
½ cup (70g) dried cranberries (Craisins)
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 whole cloves
- Pre-heat oven to 160˚C (140˚C fan-forced).
- Place ham on a rack in a large baking dish and bake for 20 minutes. Remove and increase oven temperature to 180˚C (160˚C fan-forced). This makes the skin easier to remove. Cut through the skin about 10cm from the shank end of the leg in a decorative zig zag pattern.
- To remove the skin, run thumb around the edge of the rind just under the skin. Start pulling the skin from the widest edge of ham and continue to pull carefully away from the fat up to the decorative pattern. Remove the skin completely.
- Using a sharp knife, score across the fat at about 3cm intervals, cutting just through the surface of the top fat. Do not cut too deeply or the fat will spread apart during cooking. Score in the opposite direction to form a diamond pattern. Place a clove in the middle of each diamond.
- Combine honey, mustard, dry sherry, soy sauce and brown sugar in a small bowl and brush over ham. Return to oven and bake for 45-60 minutes or until golden, basting every 15 minutes with remaining glaze mixture. Serve warm or cold.
- Meanwhile, to make mustard fruits, zest and juice the lime. Combine lime juice with sugar, vinegar and ¼ cup (60ml) water in a medium saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved, then simmer, uncovered, for five minutes. Add lime zest, glace fruit and mustard. Simmer, uncovered, for a further 10 minutes or until thickened. Cool and serve with ham. Mustard fruits will last up to one month in the fridge.
- To make cranberry and apple relish, combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Stir over high heat until sugar dissolves. Boil vigorously, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the apples are tender. Discard cloves. Cool and serve with ham.