As the cooler Autumn months are upon us, you will love this delicious and healthy recipe for Banana, Bacon And Cheese Pinwheels.
Prep: 20 mins
Cooking: 35 mins
150g bacon, diced
2½ cups self-raising flour
125g butter, chilled, chopped 1 cup full cream milk
1 tbs hot water
1½ cups finely grated cheese (see tip)
3 Cavendish bananas, peeled, diced (1½ cups
Extra 30g butter, melted
Fresh thyme and grated parmesan, to serve, optional.
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan forced. Grease a
12 hole Texas muffin tray. Cook the bacon in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat
for 3-4 minutes until light golden. Remove to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Spoon the flour into a food processor. Add the butter, pulse until butter rubbed into the flour. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Combine the milk and water and pour into flour mixture, stir gently with a knife to form a soft dough.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently to bring dough together. Roll the dough out on a sheet baking paper to 25 x 36cm rectangle. Sprinkle half the cheese over the dough. Scatter over the banana, bacon and remaining cheese.
- Starting from the long-side, roll the dough up to form a log. Trim ends. Cut into 10 equal 3cm-thick rounds. Place each scroll, cut side up, into the greased muffin pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden.
- Brush hot pinwheels with melted butter, scatter over the thyme and parmesan. Serve warm or at room temperature.
You can use tasty cheese, parmesan or mozzarella or a combination of all three.
Thank you to Australian Bananas for this delicious and healthy recipe!