Try this amazing Golden Pavlova With Mango Yoghurt And Tropical Fruit recipe from Gourmet Traveller’s new book, Menu. The recipe is from the ‘Lunch By The Sea’ menu. It’s tantalising and simply delicious!
The mango yoghurt and rum and lime caramel can be made a few days ahead to make things easier, but the pavlova itself is best made on the day. Begin this recipe a day ahead to drain the yoghurt.
PREP TIME 40 MINS
COOK 2 HRS 10 MINS
(PLUS DRAINING, CHILLING, COOLING)
- 6 eggwhites
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 250 gm raw caster sugar
- 40 gm brown sugar
- Scraped seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- 35 gm (¼ cup) cornflour
- 3 tsp white vinegar
- 3 bananas, thickly sliced
- 2 mangoes, thickly sliced
- 500 gm (about ½) pineapple, thinly sliced
- Pulp of 2 passionfruit
- Mint, to serve
- 1 kg Greek-style yoghurt
- 250 gm mango (about 1), coarsely chopped
- 80 gm raw caster sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 300 gm sour cream
RUM AND LIME CARAMEL
- 330 gm (1½ cups) raw caster sugar
- 70 ml golden rum
- 60 ml (¼ cup) lime juice
- ½ cup (firmly packed) mint
- For mango yoghurt, place yoghurt in a sieve lined with muslin over a bowl and refrigerate overnight to drain. Process mango, sugar and lime juice in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan and bring to a simmer, then cook, stirring occasionally, until syrupy (2-3 minutes). Cool, then refrigerate until chilled. Whisk yoghurt and sour cream together in a bowl, fold in mango mixture and refrigerate until required.
- Preheat oven to 120C. Whisk eggwhites, cream of tartar and a pinch of salt in an electric mixer until firm peaks form (4-5 minutes). Whisking continuously, add sugars 1 tbsp at a time until mixture is stiff and glossy (4-5 minutes), then whisk in vanilla seeds and fold in cornflour and vinegar. Form mixture into a 20cm-diameter circle on an oven tray lined with baking paper, bake until crisp and dry (1½-2 hours), then turn off oven and cool completely with door ajar.
- Meanwhile, for rum and lime caramel, stir sugar and 180ml water in a saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil and cook until dark caramel (5-6 minutes). Remove from heat and add 100ml water (be careful, hot caramel will spit), rum, lime juice and mint and cool to room temperature. Strain (discard mint) and refrigerate until required. Rum and lime caramel will keep refrigerated for a week.
- Top pavlova with mango yoghurt, then pile fruit on top, drizzle with a little rum and lime caramel, scatter with mint and serve with remaining caramel on the side.
WINE SUGGESTION: Pink Moscato.