If you’re planning a camping trip soon, you should also plan your meals. You need quick, versatile recipes with basic items that everyone will enjoy. Sounds complicated enough yet? Well, we’re here to help you with some 5 great ideas you should absolutely give a try.
1. The Cowboy Hot Dog
This is a versatile, easily customizable meal, and its name comes from it being fully loaded with greasy, delicious ingredients, as well as more types of meat.
All you need are the two basic ingredients: buns and hot dogs. And of course, some great camping cookware.
The ingredients for 8 servings are:
- Olive oil: 2 tbsp
- Yellow onions: 2 large
- Hot dogs: 8
- Hot dog buns: 8
- Mayonnaise: 12 tbsp
- Mustard: 4 tbsp
- Barbecue sauce: 8 tbsp
- White cheddar cheese: 1 cup
- Cooked bacon: 12 slices
With about 600kcal/ serving this delicious hot dog is sure to keep you satiated for a day full of hiking. And you need just about half an hour to make it, following these steps:
- Cut the onion into thin slices.
- Turn the heat on your camp stove or your grill to medium.
- Pour the oil into a frying pan and heat it over the stove.
- Put the onion in and stir it for 20 minutes until it catches a yellow hue. It’s done when you can stick your fork in it.
- Put the hot dogs on the grill, turning them regularly until they’re done.
- Grill the buns until they look a bit charred. No more than 5 minutes will do.
- Put mayonnaise, mustard, and sauce on the buns.
- Add the hot dogs, cheese, onions, and bacon.
2. Cheesy scrambled egg croissants
This is one easy meal to prepare, it just takes you about 5 minutes to prepare everything and another 5 minutes to cook. It’s a fairly delicious meal and makes for a hearty vegetarian breakfast that’s bound to give you tons of energy for the day. That’s because each portion has about 500kcal, as well as a lot of protein and carbs.
The ingredients listed below can be used for 8 people:
- Eggs: 16
- Cheddar cheese: 8 ounces
- Milk: 2 tbsp
- Snipped chives: a bunch
- Croissants: 8 large
- Seasoning you like.
To prepare this, you’ll need to:
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl.
- Add the cheddar cheese and mix.
- Add the milk.
- Mix in the seasoning.
- Pour this into a pan and stir.
- Add the chives and stir until done.
- Warm the croissants on your camp stove.
- Cut them in half.
- Put the mix of scrambled eggs in the croissants.
3. Pan Bagnat with Fennel
This is a good sandwich to start or end your day with. It’s tasty, easy to make, and the leftovers are even tastier than the original. So if you don’t have much time to spare before your hike the next morning, you can easily grab one of these sandwiches for the road.
Thanks to all the vegetables used, this is packed with fiber that will keep you full and energized. But you’re also getting some valuable protein thanks to the eggs and tuna. Basically, for 8 people, you’re going to need:
- Fennel bulb: 1
- Chopped olives: 1 cup
- Olive oil: ½ cup
- Wine vinegar: 6 tbsp.
- Drained capers: 4 tbsp
- Pepper: 1 tsp
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Sliced cucumbers: 2
- Cans of tuna: 4
- Ciabatta loafs: 2
- Hard-boiled eggs: 6
- Arugula: 4 cups
To make this mouth-watering recipe, you’ll need to:
- Mix the fennel, olives, vinegar, oil, and capers with pepper and salt. It would be best to prepare this a couple of days ahead and chill before cooking the recipe.
- Add the cucumber and tuna, then toss.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes, while you boil the eggs.
- Scoop out the bread, leaving mostly the crust, using a spoon. You can save this for later.
- Add the tuna mix.
- Put the chopped hard-boiled eggs and arugula on top.
- Press the sandwich to make sure the ingredients don’t fall. If you’re not incredibly hungry, you can even cover it with a plastic wrap until you eat.
4. Pressed Italian Sandwiches
Sandwiches are always great for camping, and these delicious sandwiches have a high content of fat and protein. That’s what’s going to keep you full and give you the energy to burn on the trail. The preparation time and press time are about 30 minutes each, and these are the ingredients for 8 people:
- Ciabatta loaf: 1
- Olive tapenade: ½ cup
- Vinegar: 2 tbsp
- Olive oil: 2 tbsp
- Sliced Genoa salami: 4 ounces
- Sliced prosciutto: 3 ounces
- Sliced coppa: 4 ounces
- Sliced mozzarella: 8 ounces
- Chopped bell pepper: 1
To make these sandwiches, follow the instructions below:
- Cook the bell pepper.
- Cut the ciabatta in half.
- Add the tapenade on one half.
- Add the salami, prosciutto, coppa, mozzarella and the bell pepper.
- Pour the vinegar and oil inside the other half.
- Place this half on top.
- Press the sandwich forcefully so the ingredients don’t fall off or wrap it in plastic foil to save for
5. Roasted Strawberries in Marshmallow Fluff
Since you can’t end the day without the perfect dessert for all ages, this easy to make sweet is going to give you plenty of fiber whilst making your salivary buds quiver with pleasure. All you need is:
- Plenty of strawberries
- Marshmallow fluff
The instructions for this are really simple, you just need to:
- Wash and dry the strawberries.
- Put them on roasting sticks.
- Add the marshmallow fluff on top.
- Roast over your campfire until they become light brown.
What will you cook?
With all these tasty recipes, we’re curious what you’ll try next. What have you cooked before on your camping trips? What other delicious recipes can you share with us? Tell us all in the comment section!
Rebecca Crawford lives in the USA, but loves hiking all over the world. Her favorite is the Everest Base Camp Trek in Nepal. It usually takes 16 days, but she likes to slow down, enjoy the mountains, company of other adventurers and taking pictures. So last time the hike took her 28 days. Another of her passions is the ocean, so all hikes along the shore bring a lot of joy. She also writes for HikingMastery.com.