If you found baking the way to relax and enjoy time during this period of isolation then you’ll love this easy to make recipe for apple and cinnamon bread with walnuts and pecans.
It only take 15-20 minutes to prepare and under an hour to cook and hey presto, you’ll be able to enjoy the results with the rest of your family.
Prep time: 15-20 mins
Cook time: 50-55 mins
- 125g unsalted butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1⁄23 cup milk
- 1 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1⁄2 tsp ground clove
- 1⁄2 cup roughly chopped walnuts or pecans
- 3 medium-size Kanzi apples peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- Extra walnuts and pecans for the top
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp cinnamon powder • 4-5 tsp milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a standard loaf tin. For easy lift out, ensure the baking paper is higher than the tin’s edge.
- Cream together the butter and caster sugar in a standard mixer until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla essence and one egg at a time, beating in-between until well combined. Scrape down the sides and base of the bowl as needed.
- Add the milk and beat further until combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir to combine the dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and ground clove.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mix. Ensure the mixing speed is slow to allow it to just come together. Be careful not to over mix.
- Gently fold in the chopped nuts followed by 3⁄4 of the diced Kanzi apples.
- Pour the batter out into the prepared tin and level out with a spatula.
- Add the remaining diced Kanzi apples and lightly push a few extra nuts into the top. Finish by sprinkling with granulated sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 50 – 55 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Place on a cooling rack for 15 minutes before removing from the tin.
- To make the cinnamon icing; combine the sifted icing sugar and ground cinnamon in a small bowl. Gradually mix in the milk with a spatula until you achieve a drizzle consistency that is not too runny. If it is, add a little more icing sugar.
- Once cooled, place the cake on a serving plate or a sheet of baking paper. Drizzle the cinnamon icing over the top using a spoon, moving back and forth quickly over the cake to create the desired drizzle effect.