Classic Mayonnaise, Makes about 1 cup (300g)
Preparation : 10 mins
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground white pepper
- ¾ cup (180ml) olive oil
Using a balloon whisk, beat the egg yolks, mustard, juice, salt and pepper until thick.
Add the oil, a few drops at a time, whisking constantly until thick. When mixture begins to thicken, add oil in a thin steady stream. The slower you add the oil, the thicker the mayonnaise will be. Thin the mayo, if desired, with a little boiling water.
How To Make Aioli
- ½ cup (150g) Classic Mayonnaise
- 2 clove garlic, very finely chopped
How To Make Rouille
- 150g roasted red capsicum
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 red birds eye chilli, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (150g) Classic Mayonnaise
Remove skin from capsicum, chop coarsely. Blend or process capsicum, garlic and chilli until smooth. Add mayonnaise, blend until combined. Can also add 2 slices white bread, crusts removed, soaked in water and squeezed dry when processing garlic, capsicum and chilli.
How To Make Tartare Sauce
- 1 cup (300g) Classic Mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped French shallot
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped capers
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cornichons (baby gherkins)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Combine all ingredients.
For more of Lyndey Milan’s fabulous recipes such as her ridiculously easy chocolate slice, click here.