This chilled soup is outstanding as a refreshing summer starter. It has been a firm family favourite for decades. Our heirloom radishes flower white and purple, so the colour is lovely too. It takes only a few minutes to prepare.
Serves 5 GF, V
Herbed Sour Cream
- 300 ml softly whipped sour cream or stirred and softened crème fraiche
- 3 tablespoons each of snipped chives, basil and mint
- 2 tablespoons radish flowers
- Ice cubes to serve
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 2 ripe, soft tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small Lebanese or telephone cucumber, cut into pieces
- ½ small green capsicum, cut roughly
- 1 spring onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup radish flowers, plus extra to serve
- 8 ice cubes
Herbed Sour Cream: Mix the sour cream with the snipped herbs in a small bowl. Set aside. Keep the flowers to add to the top when serving.
Soup: Divide the ingredients into two equal batches so your blender doesn’t overflow. Blend the first batch until smooth, then pour into a jug. Repeat with the second batch.
Put a couple of ice cubes into each bowl or serving glass. Pour over the soup. Pipe on the herbed sour cream and sprinkle the radish flowers on the top.
The Carousel would like to thank Linda from Ecobotanica for this recipe.