Roasted Balsamic Beetroot Salad
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 5 medium beetroots, scrubbed, trimmed, halved or quartered
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, cut into wedges
- 1/3 cup black quinoa
- 1 cup firmly packed mixed salad leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped brazil nuts
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius fan forced. Line an oven tray with a large piece of foil. Place beetroots on the foil, drizzle with balsamic and oil and toss. Add the onion and season with salt and pepper. Gather corners of foil and scrunch together to form a sealed bag. Roast for 1 hour or until tender. Open foil and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the quinoa in a small saucepan, cover with plenty of water and bring to the boil. Reduce to medium heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa tails begin to unravel. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine beetroot, quinoa, salad leaves, brazil nuts and beetroot juice from the foil. Season with salt and pepper if required and toss all. Transfer to serving plate.
Main pic: Danella Chalmers