Zabaglione is a preparation based on egg yolks and Marsala wine, which traditionally takes the form of a cream or custard. It is also a variety of ice cream.
Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 10 minutes
Refrigeration time 3-6 hours
Makes 1 litre (35 fl oz/4 cups)
400 ml (14 fl oz) milk
200 ml (7 fl oz) thin (pouring) cream (35% dairy fat)
5 egg yolks
180 ml (6 fl oz or 3/4 cup) sweet Marsala wine
130 g (41/2 oz) caster (superfine) sugar
50 g (13/4 oz) skim milk powder (0% fat)
5 g (¹⁄8 oz) ice-cream stabiliser (optional)
1. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. Combine the milk, cream, egg yolks and Marsala in a saucepan. Place over medium
3. Add the dry ingredients in a steady stream and whisk vigorously to prevent lumps forming. Cook, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes, or until it reaches just below boiling point (about 85°C or 185°F on a sugar thermometer). The mixture will be ready when it coats the back of a wooden spoon and you can run your finger through it leaving a clear trace.
4. Strain through a sieve, cover the surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3-6 hours.
5. Churn the mixture in an ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
6. Serve immediately or store in the freezer.