2 cups self raising flour
½ cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground nutmeg
½ cup brown sugar
3 very ripe bananas, peeled, mashed
1 cup buttermilk
Finely grated rind 1 orange
2 tblsp vegetable or light olive oil
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven 170°C. Grease and line a 8cm x 25cm (base) loaf pan allowing overhand at both long ends.
- Sift the flours, baking powder and nutmeg together into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar. Combine bananas, eggs, buttermilk, orange rind and oil in a jug and whisk well to combine then pour into the flour mixture. Stir gently to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Scatter the blueberries over the top and poke them into the mixture.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean, if the top starts to brown too much cover loosely with foil after 40 minutes.
- Set aside to cool in pan for 15 minutes. Lift onto a wire rack to cool. Slice and serve. It’s delicious warm, cold or toasted under a hot grill.
The Carousel thanks Janelle Bloom for this recipe.
Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea is an opportunity for friends, family or workmates to come together, share a cuppa and some delicious food, and help those affected by cancer. While the official date for this year’s Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea is Thursday 28th May 2015, you can hold your tea any time during May or June.