Australia Day Lamingtons just stepped up a level, with the fruity, tangy twist of passionfruit. Easy to make and even easier to eat, these Aussie Passionfruit Lamingtons will be your new go-to, every day throughout the year!
Australia Day Lamingtons – The Need-To-Know
Makes: 25 pieces
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
What You’ll Need
For The Sponge
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup corn flour
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds removed
- 150g unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs (at room temperature)
- ¾ cup milk (at room temperature)
- zest of 1 lemon
For The Glaze:
- 7 fresh Aussie passionfruit
- 100g icing sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons gelatine powder
- 4 tablespoons cream
For The Coating:
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
How To Prepare Your Australia Day Lamingtons
To prepare the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Line a 25cm square cake tin (spring base is preferred) with baking paper. Leave the sides un-greased to ensure the cake rises evenly.
- In a large bowl sift the flour, corn flour and baking powder three times – this is an important step to ensure the cake is light. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl add the butter, caster sugar and the seeds scraped from the vanilla pod, using electric beaters beat until the mix is creamy and smooth. This will take a minimum of 10 minutes of continuous beating.
- Add the eggs to the butter mixture one at a time while beating continuously. Gradually sift the flour mix again over the batter while gently folding it in with a spatula, follow with adding the milk. If the mix is too dry add a little dash of milk.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 20- 25 minutes. Test if the cake is cooked through by placing a skewer into the middle. If it comes out clean it is cooked, if it comes out with batter mix on it, cook it further for 5 minutes. Leave the cake to cool for 15 minutes in the tin then turn it out onto a cooling rack to completely cool before glazing.
To prepare the glaze:
- Combine the passionfruit pulp, lemon juice, water and sugar in a small saucepan. Place on low to medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Take off the heat and stir through the gelatine powder until it has dissolved.
- Pour in the cream and stir through. Place the mixture into the fridge for 10 -15 minutes to allow the glaze to thicken to a custard consistency.
To glaze and coat the lamingtons:
- Slice the cake into 5cm x 5cm squares.
- Spread the desiccated and shredded coconut together over a wide plate.
- Coat each square of cake completely, one at a time, in the passionfruit glaze mixture then in the coconut by gently rolling it to ensure all sides are well coated.
- Place your Australia Day Lamingtons in the fridge to allow to set and firm before serving.