For World Vegan Day, MyFitnessPal have shared some of the best vegan recipes for vegans and carnivores alike. These recipes are not only delicious, but they’re super easy to make!
Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Sliders With Slaw
Active time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
For the slaw
- 4 cups bagged coleslaw mix
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
For the sliders
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 400g can plain green jackfruit, drained
- 1/2 cup (117g) low-sodium ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 4 wholemeal sandwich thins, toasted
- Stir together the coleslaw ingredients and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until tender and beginning to brown, 3 minutes. Meanwhile, break apart the jackfruit pieces, setting aside the tougher stem and seed parts. Chop the tougher bits and add to the shredded pieces. Add to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until the jackfruit begins to brown, 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and Sriracha. Add to the skillet with 1/3 cup (80ml) water. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Divide the jackfruit among the bottom buns. Top each sandwich with 1/2 cup of the coleslaw and the top half of the bun. Serve with the remaining coleslaw on the side.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 sandwich (1/2 cup/110g jackfruit, 1cup/60g slaw)
Cauliflower Black Bean Tacos
Active time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 6 corn tortillas
- 4 cups (400g) cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (278g) cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup (40g) green onions, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup (15g) cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC, and wrap the tortillas in foil. Heat the tortillas for 10 minutes.
- Place the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until chopped to the size of ground beef.
- Coat a large saute pan with olive oil and place over medium-high heat; add the cauliflower. Cook, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender and the pan is dry. Add the garlic, chipotle powder, salt and black beans and cook until hot.
- Serve 1/2 cup of the cauliflower filling in each corn tortilla, top with green onions, tomatoes and cilantro.
Serves: 3 | Serving Size: 2 tacos
Sheet Pan Kung Pao Cauliflower Steaks
Active time: 10 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 1 medium (907g) head cauliflower
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch (1.27cm) thick slices
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon malt vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ginger root peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 medium garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or other hot chilli paste
- 1/4 cup (30g) roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (2g) cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Trim the stem flush with the bottom of the cauliflower and discard the leaves/stem. With the stem side down, cut the cauliflower into 1/2 inch-thick (1.5cm) slices, you should be able to get 3 steaks, leave the remaining florets in large pieces. Arrange the cauliflower and bell peppers on the baking sheet. Brush the vegetables all over with the oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Roast until a tip of a knife enters the core easily and the cauliflower browns on the bottom, 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the honey, vinegar, ginger, soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil and Sriracha. Flip the vegetables carefully with a spatula and group them close together in the centre of the baking sheet. Spoon the soy sauce mixture over the vegetables and sprinkle the peanuts over everything.
- Return the sheet pan to the oven and bake until fragrant, 5 minutes. Sprinkle the green onions and cilantro over everything and serve.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 170g
For more recipes for World Vegan Day, check out Our Top 9 Vegan Dessert Recipes.