Kamalaya has won more than 35 industry and consumer awards since its inception, including most recently Worldwide Health & Wellness Destination of the Year 2022 at the World Spa & World Spa & Wellness Awards.
Follow Karina Stewart’s recipe and enjoy this yummy and healthy roesti dish to keep you warm over winter.
- Sweet Potato – 240g
- Celery, very finely sliced – 60g
- Garlic, finely chopped – 10g
- Shallot, finely chopped – 10g
- Shitake mushroom, sliced – 40g
- Rocket leaves – 50g
- String bean, whole – 40g
- Balsamic vinaigrette (see below) – 20 ml
- Coconut oil – 15ml
- Pepper black – dash
- Nutmeg – dash
- Thyme, chopped – 1 knife tip
- Balsamic vinegar – 10ml
- Vegetable stock – 80ml
- Rice flour – 1tsp
- Sea salt – dash
- Garlic, chopped – 2g
- Shallot, chopped – 3g
Balsamic Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- Balsamic vinegar – 5ml
- Olive oil – 20ml
- Black pepper – dash
- Cut the sweet potato into very fine stripes (a mandolin will give best results0
- Heat 10ml of coconut oil in frying pan on low heat. Add the sweet potato, garlic, shallot and celery and sauté for 1 minute. Season with nutmeg and sea salt.
- Remove mixture from frying pan, divid into 6 equal parts. Drop each sweet potato portion back in the frying pan, flatten until it is about 1-2cm thick, and sauté on both sides until nice golden brown colour.
- Now make the mushroom ragout. Heat the remaining 5ml (1tsp) of the coconut oil in a saucepan and sauté garlic, shallot and shitake for about 5 seconds. Add the balsamic vinegar and cook until reduced. Stir in the vegetable stock, and simmer for 1 minute. Season with a dash black pepper. Take a small bowl or glass and mix the rice flour with a small amount of water (about 1tsp – enough to make a cloudy liquid). Add this to the mushroom mix, stirring continuously until it thickens. Add the thyme and stir through. Remove from heat.
- Blanch the beans in boiling water for 1 minute, then plunge into ice water. Remove from water.
- Make the Balsamic Vinaigrette by whisking (or shaking) all ingredients together. Season the rocket leaves with a dash of sea salt, pepper and the balsamic vinaigrette.
- Now to serve. Take your serving plates, and build up a stack – first the roesti, then the beans, then the rocket by 3 times. Spoon the mushroom ragout around the roesti stack.
The multi-award winning Kamalaya Wellness Sanctuary is located on the southern coast of Koh Samui, Thailand. Founded by John and Karina Stewart in 2005, Kamalaya offers immersive wellness experiences that inspire, motivate, and empower our guests to achieve their wellbeing goals and become better versions of themselves. Kamalaya’s wellness programs support guests in their health goals to achieve optimal wellbeing, while supporting them to reconnect to the true source of healing and creativity within and to feel life’s potential. Integrating healing traditions from east and west, the 17 customised wellness programs include Detoxification & Rejuvenation, Stress & Burnout, Enriched Gut, Sleep Enhancement, Embracing Change, Yoga Synergy, and Resilience & Immunity.