Balanced wellbeing starts with the support you provide your body through nutrition. This traditional tonic from Kamalaya Wellness Sanctuary’s menu is refreshing, and revitalising and has medicinal benefits with its anti-inflammatory, immunity boosting and antibacterial properties.
With Indonesia as its cultural home, Jamu is a refreshing and revitalising traditional medicinal tonic that has been used for over 1000 years to lower inflammation and improve immunity. The two medicinal roots, ginger and turmeric make a powerful team with a multitude of health benefits. The source of Jamu’s vivid colour is curcumin, the powerful anti-inflammatory component in turmeric, which is valued by many as a pain reliever and liver tonic.
Ginger, whilst also being strongly anti-inflammatory and antibacterial, helps to build our “digestive fire” and can be used to treat nausea and indigestion. Jamu can be served warm or chilled. For a gentle liver flush and to stimulate digestive secretions, enjoy a 30ml shot each morning 15 minutes before breakfast.
Here, find the recipe from the Kamalaya Koh Samui Wellness Sanctuary & Holistic Spa menu:
- Fresh turmeric, peeled and sliced
- (OR substitute with organic dried turmeric powder)
- Fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- Coconut water or mineral water
- Organic raw honey
- Limes, juiced
- Combine the water, turmeric and ginger in a blender and use a high speed setting to achieve the consistency of a juice. Transfer the liquid to a thick bottomed saucepan, bring to the boil on medium heat and simmer for 20 minutes, allowing the spices to fully infuse, thereby unlocking the depth of their therapeutic properties.
- Set aside and allow to cool. Pass the liquid through a fine strainer and discard any solid particles. Stir in the honey and lime until the honey has dissolved.
- Transfer to a sterilised glass bottle and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
The Kamalaya Koh Samui Wellness Sanctuary & Holistic Spa menu features an expansive selection of delicious plant-based delicacies that are light, freshly prepared and designed specifically with the whole being wellness in mind. Find more recipes here: