Marion Grasby has created a delicious beef ragu sauce using the jam function on a Panasonic Bread Maker. This allows you to slowly braise the meat and for the flavours to develop.
Marion said: “I am always searching for different ways to challenge myself in the kitchen and create fun, exciting and delicious content. In my Test Kitchen series, I love the experimental nature of creating new recipes and using Panasonic smart home appliances in unexpected ways.”
“I want to show Australians that they can be flexible and innovative when it comes to cooking even simple meals, utilising the functionality of Panasonic smart kitchen appliances”
Bread Maker Beef Ragu Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours 30 minutes + resting time
- 500g (1 lb) beef chuck steak, cut into 2cm (just under 1”) dice
- 1 small brown onion, peeled, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely diced
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 2cm (just under 1”) dice
- 4-5 thyme sprigs
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 x 400ml (13.5 fl oz) tin of whole canned tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato passata
- 1 cup red wine (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup water (add an extra 1 cup of not using wine)
- 3 beef stock cubes
- 1⁄3 cup whole milk
- 11⁄2 tsp sea salt flakes
- grated parmesan cheese, to serve
- 2 cups “00” flour, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 tsp cooking salt
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- semolina, for dusting
- For the ragu, add the beef, onion, garlic, carrot, eggplant, thyme, tomato paste, canned tomatoes, passata, red wine, water and stock cubes into the basket of the bread maker.
- Select the Jam Setting function and cook for 90 minutes. Add the milk, close the lid and cook on the same setting for a further 1 hour until the beef is tender and cooked through and everything is tasting delicious. Transfer the ragu to a large bowl and set it aside.
For the pasta, place flour, eggs, olive oil and salt into the clean basket of the Bread Maker and select the manual Bread Kneading function for 20 minutes. Remove the dough from the Bread Maker onto a lightly floured surface and, using your hands, shape it into a smooth ball.
Cover in cling film and refrigerate for 30 mins.
- After 30 minutes, dust a clean surface with some semolina. Cut the dough into 4 pieces then, one piece at a time, sprinkle the top of the dough with extra flour and roll out to 1–2mm (1/16”) thickness, moving the dough around and flipping sides often. Cut into 2–3cm-wide strips (1”), then carefully transfer pasta strips to a cooling rack or floured tray for about 5 minutes to dry out slightly.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook for about 4 minutes, or until just al dente. Strain and transfer to a serving plate.
- Top the pasta with reheated ragu. Drizzle with extra olive oil and sprinkle with grated parmesan, then serve immediately.
This recipe was made using the Panasonic SD-YR2550 Bread Maker.
Panasonic has released a range of new bread makers including options for gluten-free alternatives.
Panasonic aims to make home baking as simple as possible and the next-generation SD-R2530 Bread Maker does just that. Just drop in the ingredients, set the timer and you are ready to go.
The bread maker features a total of 30 automatic programs, allowing households to bake an array of breads including wholewheat, sourdough and brioche. It is also ideal for people who suffer from gluten intolerance or simply want to eat less gluten as it offers numerous programs to create gluten-free bread, cake, pizza dough and pasta – excluding allergens in the baking progress, without compromising on the taste.
There is also a new dedicated function for store-bought Bread Mixii which requires nothing but water, to create hassle-free, fresh bread that the whole family will love. Or, use the Jam mode to create a treat from your favourite fruit.
All Bread Makers are available now. For further information and stockist details visit: All Bread Makers are available now. For further information and stockist details visit: https://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/household/kitchen-appliances/bread-makers.html