“Did you know that making your own lavosh crackers is super easy to do? It’s definitely worth a try. Instead of store-bought crackers, add these lavosh crackers to a cheeseboard and pair it with a creamy cheese like Fromager d’Affinois Le Fromager double cream.
“It makes the perfect Friday night treat with a glass of wine.”
Prep: 10 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
Serves: enough for 8
- Your favourite creamy cheese
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat or wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes, plus extra to garnish
- 1 tbs. white sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. nigella seeds
- Fresh figs and/or apple slices
- Pre heat the oven to 170C. Line three baking trays with baking paper and grease with a little splash of oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flours, salt and sesame seeds.
- In a jug mix together the water and oil.
- Make a well in the centre or the dry ingredients and little by little add the wet ingredients.
- Use your hands to bind together to form a ball of dough. If too sticky, add a little more flour.
- On a floured board, cut the dough into 8 even portions. Working with one piece of dough at a time, place between two sheets of baking paper and roll out into 20cm- long sheets (approximately) that are 1 mm thick. Place on to prepared tray and sprinkle over some nigella seeds and extra salt. Repeat the process.
- Bake for 20-25 minute or until slightly golden and crisp.
- Remove and cool completely on tray. If not using immediately store in an airtight container. They will last up to 2 weeks.
- Serve lavosh on a wooden board with your favourite creamy cheese and a selection of fruit.
Justine Schofield is one of Australia’s most prevalent cooking personalities with an infectious energy, impeccably creative skills in the kitchen and an undeniable passion for food! As well as a best-selling cookbook author, she is the host of the hugely popular cooking show Everyday Gourmet and was a fan favourite in the first series of MasterChef and MasterChef All Stars.