It’s not surprising that staycations are popular this summer.
Staycations – where you stay at home and explore all the delights of your local area that you may not usually have time to appreciate – are seeing a renaissance with new research revealing 22% of Aussies are planning a staycation this holiday season.
Over 7,000 macadamia fans were surveyed online by Australian Macadamias between 16 November and 12 December 2020, with the survey revealing staycations as the number one adventure being planned for the holiday season followed by a ‘beach holiday’ (16%) and ‘road trip’ (14.5%). Surprisingly only 7% said they were planning a camping holiday and less than 1% a biking adventure.
Lyndey Milan, OAM, Australian media personality and avid foodie and traveller says, “with overseas borders, and even many within Australia, closed, now is the time for a staycation. Like anything, planning will ensure you have the very best staycation you can.”
Lyndey Milan’s top 5 Staycation tips
Most staycations are more affordable than usual holidays so treat yourself to something special. Those things you love to do, but don’t usually have time for, or something you’ve never tried but always wanted to. And remember – no housework is allowed on holiday – so book a cleaner to come in after your staycation.
Here’s some ideas to get you started:
- Have a ‘fine dining’ meal at home. Buy yourself something out of the ordinary – a lobster, some wagyu beef or a truffle and a special bottle of champagne or wine and indulge. Make a different cocktail every night. Play your favourite music. Or enrol for a zoom class with a chef where you can have the ingredients delivered and cook along. You may prefer picking up a picnic hamper and going somewhere picturesque. Or travel the world with your tastebuds and try a different cuisine every night.
- Choose roads less travelled. Pick a destination, or blind-folded put a pin in a map and hit the road, visiting towns now cut off by highway upgrades. Buy yourself a souvenir wherever you go, something to remind you of the trip and to support local businesses. While you’re there visit any local national parks or lookouts for the best photo opportunities.
- Have an “at home” film festival. Select a ‘destination theme’ movie and have appropriate home-delivered food and drinks from where the film is set. Invite a couple of friends over and dress the part for each movie.
- Book a spa treatment at home. There are plenty of people offering massages but you can also have a his and hers massage, facial, manicure, pedicure – whatever it is you would usually enjoy on holidays. Buy a fluffy white robe to wear and fill your bathroom with lovely soap, candles and other toiletries to create the day spa experience.
- Try camping or glamping. For your staycation to give you the replenishment you need, give yourself the space to do some exploring in nature. Pitch a tent in your backyard – exciting for young children (and convenient for you!) – or head somewhere further afield and enjoy the novelty of sleeping bags, nighttime wildlife spotting and simple, unfussy food which transports easily and is fun to eat.
Try this delicious recipe below:
Prawn salad with macadamia dressing
Preparation 15 minutesCooking 3 minutesIngredients 750g asparagus200g baby rocket leaves2 medium (2 x 300g) mangoes, sliced thinly 2 medium (2 x 170g) avocadoes, sliced thinly 1/2 cup loosely packed mint leaves1 ¼ cups (175g) unsalted toasted macadamia nutsCoarsely ground black pepper2kg medium cooked prawns or 1 kg peeled prawns
Macadamia Dressing1/3 cup (80ml) strained passionfruit pulp (6 passionfruit)1/2 cup (125ml) macadamia oil2 small fresh red chillies, seeded, chopped finely2 tablespoons (40ml) lime juice1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger1 teaspoon caster sugar1/2 teaspoon salt
Method Barbecue or grill asparagus until just tender. Cool and cut into thirds on an angle.
Roughly chop ½ cup (70g) macadamias, finely chop ¼ cup (35g) and leave remainder whole.
For the Macadamia Dressing, combine all ingredients in a screw-top jar; shake well. Just before serving add the ¼ cup finely chopped macadamias and shake again.
Combine asparagus, rocket, mango, avocado, mint and macadamias on serving platter or individual bowls.
Just before serving, put prawns on serving plates, drizzle with macadamia dressing.