It’s hard to beat this Chioggia Beet, Endive & Quinoa Rainbow Salad. For more salads like this, click here.
1 cup /250 ml / 190 g uncooked quinoa (any colour), rinsed (3 cups cooked)
6 endives or/and fennel, cut in quarters or halves
1 drizzle honey, preferable unheated
1 drizzle cold-pressed olive oil or coconut oil
1 tsp sea salt
1 handful raw walnuts
2 cups / 500 ml / 600 g cooked chickpeas/garbamzo beans (if using canned, rinse well and drain)
2 apples, thinly sliced
4 raw chioggia beets, or any colour, thinly sliced
4 large tomatoes (we used green ruffle tomatoes), thinly sliced
2 cups / 100 g mache salad greens or any lettuce of your choice, rinsed
2 avocadoes, stone removed and sliced
200 g / 7 oz organic goat’s cheese, crumbled
2 tbsp cold-pressed olive oil or cold-pressed rapeseed oil
2 tbsp lemon juice and zest from half an organic lemon
2 tbsp honey, preferable unheated
a pinch sea salt & black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C / 350°F. Place the rinsed quinoa in a saucepan, add 2 cups water, a pinch of salt and bring to boil. Lower the heat immediately to medium/low and let gently simmer for 15-20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Place the divided endives and fennel on a baking sheet (reserve some space for the walnuts), drizzle with honey and olive oil.
3. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, depending on the size of the endives and the oven, until soft, golden and with slightly crispy edges.
4. A few minutes before the endives are done, carefully place the walnuts on the baking sheet with some salt on top, toast them, turning halfway. Prepare the rest of the ingredients and stir together the dressing ingredients.
5. Place the cooked quinoa, chickpeas (garbanzo beans), apple slices, beet slices, tomato slices, mache greens, avocado slices and dressing in a large serving bowl. Toss well to combine. Tuck in the baked endives and fennels and scatter with toasted walnuts and goat’s cheese. Serve with this bread or wholegrain sourdough bread and organic butter.
The Carousel thanks Green Kitchen Stories for this recipe