I’m calling it right now – this has got to be the best beauty union this year. To celebrate the launch of the upcoming blockbuster film Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Covergirl designed a series of amazing beauty looks inspired by the film, along with nine limited edition buys so you can recreate the ‘Light Side’ or ‘Dark Side’ looks yourself .
We had an exclusive chat with Pat McGrath, Covergirl’s Global Creative Design Director, about the new products…
Transformation and duality are key themes in the Star Wars franchise. Makeup is transformative and lets women show off multiple sides of their personalities. Can you explain this?
“The Star Wars franchise is one of the most influential films of our time and the film’s tradition of strong female characters is a key theme within our campaign. When women see the campaign, I hope they are inspired to show off their personality and play around with light and dark looks through their own journey. Makeup is the ultimate transformation tool, so be fearless with your looks.”
As a makeup artist you transform people every day. What’s the most extreme transformation you’ve ever done?
“I’ve been so fortunate in my career to do countless transformations – it would be too difficult to choose the most extreme one! Working on the Star Wars transformations was definitely amongst my favourites. Being such a long-time fan of the films, and having the opportunity to work on the modern day interpretations of these characters was such an amazing experience for me.”
What was your inspiration behind the ethereal light looks? How can women incorporate the gold lip look into everyday?
“The characters in the films inspired our light side looks – from the loyal droids to the forest dwellers and the desert warriors. Metallics are hot this season and fit perfectly with the times and film. Take risks, try a gold or silver lip look for a party or night out on the weekend.”
What was your inspiration behind the seductive dark looks?
“There is so much mystery and intrigue in the dark side – from the graphic white storm trooper to the fierce sinister female commanders – lots of blacks, silvers and whites dominated my looks.”
How would you translate some of these more artistic looks for the average woman who wants to try these looks at home?
- “For the Jedi look, tone down the light markings around the eye. Layering of nude tones and contouring has made a major comeback recently.”
- “The Droid look is amazing for a night out on the town! Use a brush of gold shadow on the eyes and finish with a beautiful gold lip.”
- “Green is a big eye trend and the greens and purples in the Mystic look really make your eyes pop. Make your eyes the focus of this look with a soft lilac lip.”
- “To wear Chrome Captain, take your look from day to night by using a beautiful metallic eye look during the day, and adding more chrome detail on the eyes and lips at night.”
- “To achieve a wearable gold lip, use a neutral brown lip pencil in a similar shade as your skin tone. Outline the natural shape of your lip and fill in shading with the side of the pencil. Top with your favourite gold lip colour and a swipe of gold gloss in the centre for a pop of liquid metal shine.”
- “When it comes to Stormtrooper, embrace the structural make-up trend with a very defined liner on the eyes. Add white shadow in the crease and a strong berry lip – this will be a beautiful winter look.”
- “The Dark Apprentice is a very strong look with a dark eye and a seductive red lip. For an everyday take on this look, choose either the strong dark eye or the dramatic red lip.”