If you want time to adopt a totally new look, then think about trying a retro look with our step by step guide to Recreate Retro Hair Styles Of Twiggy, Grace Kelly, Marylyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Britt Ekland, Bridget Bardot and Bebe Daniels.
Thanks to Australian award-winning hair stylist Lizzie Liros, we can give you the perfect guide on how to re-create retro hair. What better way to spend your spare time in ISO?
The Twiggy – Pixie Crop
- Apply a smoothing serum to the hair and part on desired side.
- Using a large round brush blow dry hair straight in thin one-inch sections
- Once entire head is dry use the cool setting on your dryer to give hair one last cool brush through to help set the entire style.
- If desired run straighteners over the length of the hair for a clean straight finish. Ensure to apply a heat protection spray first.
- Finish with a small amount of gloss serum to add high shine to your finished sleek style.
The Marilyn – Hollywood Retro Hair
- Part hair on desired side.
- Apply a medium hold styling mousse on dry hair and blow-dry until completely dry.
- In small sections, curl all of the hair in the same direction using a medium curling iron like the Philips Conical Curler. Let it cool down for 5-10 minutes.
- Run your fingers through the hair to separate the curls and part the hair on the desired side.
- Use Shine Spray for a soft shinny finish
The Audrey Hepburn – Beehive
- Add a volumising spray to clean damp hair and blow-wave hair with a large round brush to create volume and texture in the hair.
- Part dry hair on desires side and section the top crown section of hair from the back, pulling it forward and clipping with a butterfly clip.
- Starting on the same side as hair is parted on and working from the nape of the neck smooth hair to the centre of the back of the head. Rill the hair over on itself and pin in place with bobby-pins.
- Work your way up the head until your reach the base of the crown (this will move the lengths of the hair to the top of the head, whilst the back will be neatly rolled and fastened).
- Twist the lengths of the hair to the end and twirl into a loose flat bun on the top of the crown.
- Take the front section of the hair, working away from the part, and sweep sideways pulling it lightly backwards and pinning into the pre-pinned style at the back of the hair.
- Finish the style by doing the same thing to the remaining loose side of hair.
- Smooth fly-ways with a fishtail comb and spray with a light weight finishing spray.
Bridget Bardot – Big Sexy Retro Hair
- Wash hair and apply a volumising mousse to damp hair
- Follow with a heat protectant before styling.
- Blow-wave hair with a round brush until completely dry.
- Set all of hair with medium sized hot rollers or a styling tool like the Philips StyleCare Auto-Rotating Airstyler working away from the face.
- Allow rollers to cool completely before gently removing them one by one.
- Take two 2 inch sections of hair at the very centre of the crown and lightly tease with a tail comb to create height and fullness.
- Secure the centre sections of hair to the crown of the head with a bobby-pin
- Then loosely draw back the sides of the hair to the back and pin into place with bobby pins.
- Gentle comb the front section of hair over teased hair with a tail comb, smoothing into place before pinning at the back of the head, covering the side section pins
- Allow the fringe section of hair to fall natural around the face
- Using your fingers gently brush out the curls in the length of the hair to loosen them into a soft naturally flowing finish.
- Finish the look with a light coat of high shine spray and light hold hair spray over the entire hair.
Bebe Daniels – Finger Wave
- Wash hair using your regular shampoo and conditioner and lightly towel dry. Hair needs to be a little wet to create this style
- Apply a non-sticky medium hold mousse to wet hair and blow dry smooth. *Hair MUST be 100% dry to achieve this style.
- Using a tail comb create a straight deep part on desired side.
- Tie the bulk of your hair up, leaving a think section at the nape
- Take a super fine vertical section of hair from the nape and using a small curling tong like the end of the Philips Conical Curler to wind hair very tightly from root to ends. *The tighter hair is wound around the tong the better.
- Hold for 5-7 seconds and release the curl. Follow the same technique for whole head working left to right, nape to crown and winding curls in the same direction
- Once all hair is curled spray with a light hold hair spray and allows hair to cool for 15 minutes. *Hair MUST be 100% cool before brushing to create the desired finish.
- Using a vent brush comb out the curls on a downward strong, taking long strokes from roots to tips. This will smooth out the curls to create the soft wave
- Keep brushing until the soft waves are achieved.
Grace Kelly – The Glam Slicked Back Look
- Wash hair and apply a smoothing serum before styling
- Blow wave front side sections of the hair smooth using a round brush, ensuring to work hair backwards as your dry
- Blow-wave the body and length of the hair up and directly back, letting all hair drop behind the shoulders. Hair can be dried smooth or with the slightest of curl at the very ends of the hair.
- With a tail comb smooth the front section of hair backwards away from the face.
- Spray all of hair lightly with a shine spray to add a gorgeous glamorous glossy finish.
- Finish the look with a firm hold hairspray around the hairline to hold the look into place.
Britt Ekland – The Tousled/Boho Hair
- Part clean dried hair on desired side or centre part.
- Spray hair with a medium hold hair spray.
- Starting from the front of the hair around the face, take a thin vertical section of hair from the part line down to the nape (just under your ear).
- Curl the section of hair with a one-inch curling wand, winding hair away from the face.
- Hold for 5 seconds and then remove the hair from the curling wand keeping the curl in tact.
- Pin the curled hair to the base of the scalp to allow the curl to cool and set.
- Continue this same system with remaining hair.
- Once all of hair is curled and pinned allow the hair to cool for 15 minutes before removing each pin and releasing the curls.
- To finish tip your head upside down and run your fingers through hair to loosen curls. *Brushing the hair with comb or brush with smooth the hair more so that using your fingers.
Voila! There you have it. Easy to follow step by step guides to create iconic retro hair styles.