For first-time travellers to Paris, knowing what to pack can be daunting. You want to look your Parisian best, but packing your entire wardrobe isn’t an option…To help, fashion illustrator, Kerrie Hess – who has spent a large part of her career living in and traveling to Paris collaborating with the most glamorous of brands, shares her top 10 travel essentials for your next Parisian vacay.
1.Cashmere or wool scarf for the long way over, this will always add a statement to your outfit and plus will keep you warm along the way.
2. Ballet flats or canvas flats – chic yet comfortable for all the walking and exploring you are about to do. Pack some dressier flats, if possible so that you can transition them from day to night.
3. Simple striped t-shirts (or pick them up at Petit Bateau while there.) These tees can be paired with basic jeans for more of a summer look or just simply add a coat for those cooler days.
4. Black or navy blazer to throw over a dress or striped tee. A blazer will add a touch of style and class to your travel outfits.
5. A little black dress! You can’t possibly travel to Paris without a little black dress. Wear with flats during the day or heels at night. Packing just one dress that can be worn from day to night will make for light travel and will give you more room in your suitcase for shopping.
6. Longchamp le pliage tote. I would recommend a mid-size for the day time, and a larger one to pack in your suitcase should you need it for the way back.
7. Bright red lipstick. Very little make-up with a pop a red lips and dishevelled hair is a popular look in Paris. This can be worn during the day to add a touch of style to your outfit, or with your LBD for a great night time look.
8. Your favourite perfume to remember your trip by! Or even better, buy one when you’re there. I love Annick Goutal, or the Guerlain store on the Champs Elysees is magical.
9. Paris metro map – most hotels have one. A pocket size is best! Map your route before you go each day to look less like a tourist. No one likes getting lost, especially when your time is so short and shouldn’t be spent wondering where you are.
10. A beautiful silk scarf… Paris is one of the few city’s that women still wear scarves! Drape one around your neck, or tie one to your tote bag. You’ll truly feel like you’re on holiday in the city of love.
The Carousel would like to thank Kerrie Hess for her article.