We got the chance to have a chat with Pedj and Laila to get the low-down on their fresh debut collection, their ultimate ambassador and Pedj’s journey from soccer pitches to design studios.
1. Do you have a particular style icon that epitomises Edition Watches’ aesthetic?
We don’t necessarily have an individual style icon, but the brand itself and our designs are definitely inspired by New York City in terms of the city’s style, energy and attitude.
2. Who would you love to see wearing your designs?
Someone like The Weeknd would be awesome – he’s cool, fresh and has his own style. He would rock it.
3. Is this your first experience at designing?
PEDJ: I actually have an urban street wear label that I started a few years ago which is currently being rebranded and prepared for a re-launch but this is my first experience at designing accessories.
4. What were the highlights and challenges throughout the designing process?
PEDJ: I absolutely love watches and always have since I was very young so the design process was really enjoyable for me. We really wanted to create something that we would love to wear that would look fresh and modern but still have a timeless feel to it. I suppose the challenge was to really make sure we got the sampling right so that it was exactly what we wanted.
5. What made you decide to design watches over other accessories or apparel?
PEDJ: I have always loved watches and moving into accessories such as a range of watches just seemed like a natural extension of the apparel that I had already designed under my other label.
6. Pedj, how have you found the transition from the sporting world to the fashion world?
The transition has been an interesting one. Going from something you have done your whole life as a career and now turning what was really a passion of mine into a career is really exciting and I am looking forward to seeing where it goes.
7. And what things have you learnt from your sporting career that have helped your new career path?
I have really learnt a lot of great life lessons from playing professional football that are transferrable to any career. I learnt a lot about hard work, professionalism, dedication and working well in a team environment.
8. Why did you choose to make a unisex collection?
There seems to be a unisex trend happening in fashion generally. But for us, we really liked the idea of creating a quality product that aesthetically isn’t gender specific – anyone who likes it can wear it.
9. What plans does Edition Watches have for the future?
We are looking to continue to grow and create further watch ranges and possibly other accessories. We want to do that very organically though and only produce products that we love and feel passionately about.
10. If you personally could choose only one style of Edition Watches to own, which one would it be and why?
Our Charcoal 01 has been our bestseller and I really like that one a lot but I would have to say the Silver 01 would probably be my favourite. It’s just so versatile – it could easily be worn with shorts and a tee on the weekends or a suit to work.
Check out their website for more.