I have always been a bit wary of setting powders as I feared that they could look cakey and bring out rather than hide wrinkles, but having been reintroduced to the wonders of translucent powders – I am now a hardened convert.
I love their sheer setting qualities and the fact that my base lasts so much longer. I always have one close by to touch up my foundation as needed throughout the day. The finish it gives is a joy to behold.
The only way to apply any kind of powder is with a dedicated powder brush, not those little powder puffs that often come included in the tub. Dip the brush into the powder, tap off the excess, and then sweep over the entire face paying particular attention to the oily t-zone and chin. Ready, set, go.
We love Carolyn Murphy’s sublimely set makeup at the recent Met Gala. To get her look you will need: Double Wear Brush-On Glow BB Highlighter,Double Wear Stay-in-Place Brow Lift Duo,Pure Color Envy Sculpting Lipstick in Potent, and the finishing touch, a spritz ofModern Muse Eau de Parfum, all by Estee Lauder.
Five To Try
1. Tom Ford Translucent Finishing Powder, $100, tomford.com
2. Yves Saint Laurent Sheer and Radiant Loose Powder, $79, 1300 651 032.
3. Shiseido The Makeup Translucent Loose Powder, $66, 1800 225 032
4. M.A.C Select Sheer Loose Powder, $44, maccosmetics.com.au
5. Aveda Inner Light Mineral Loose Powder, $44.95, aveda.com.au
What is your favourite translucent powder to use? Let us know in the comments below!